Aug 2, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
Adam Rosales cleared waivers last month the first time the A’s sent him down, but he was picked up this time, with the Rangers choosing to add him to their infield.
The 30-year-old Rosales was hitting .193/.268/.319 over 135 at-bats in his two stints with the A’s this season. He’s a lifetime .220/.289/.334 hitter with 19 homers in 809 at-bats. Rosales is best known for his home run sprints around the bases, amid various other forms of hustle. He has the three fastest home runs of the season, all under 16.5 seconds. The A’s had cut him to make room for the newly acquired Alberto Callaspo on the roster.
Rosales will see the occasional start against lefties for the Rangers and serve as a backup throughout the infield. No countermove has come yet, but it’s possible the Rangers will send down Jurickson Profar, who hasn’t proven all that useful as a part-time player since Ian Kinsler came off the DL. He’s hit .216 with three runs scored and two RBI in 51 at-bats since the beginning of July. Outfielder Engel Beltre is another possibility.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)