Aug 2, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
Peter Gammons reports that Red Sox owner John Henry will be the new owner of the Boston Globe.
It’s surprising news, as the Boston Globe, reporting on its own fate, stated last week that Henry had dropped out of the bidding.
The New York Times previously owned 17.75 percent of the Fenway Sports Group, the company that owns the Red Sox and NESN, only to sell its shares in 2011 and 2012. It announced its intentional to sell the Globe back in February.
If Henry completes his purchase of the Globe, the already cozy relationship between the Red Sox and the paper could grow more intertwined.
The bids for the Globe were expected to come in around $100 million, according to Bloomberg. The Times originally paid $1.1 billion, mostly in stock, to acquire the Globe in 1993.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)