Aug 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
2013 wasn’t a very good year for the Brewers to come up with anniversaries. 2012 was the 30th anniversary of the best team the franchise has ever put together, the 1982 Brewers that won 95 games and lost the World Series to the Cardinals in seven games.
30 years ago: 87-75, fifth place in the AL East
25 years ago: 85-75, third place in AL East
20 years ago: 69-93, seventh place in the AL East
15 years ago: 74-88, fifth place in the NL Central
10 years ago: 68-94, sixth place in the NL Central
So, yeah, picking out a player to honor from the group was the best idea, and there’s no better player in Brewers history than Robin Yount, who played his final game on Oct. 2, 1993 for that 69-93 team. Yount started so young that he was just 37 when he retired and still got 20 years in. He was a decent enough player when he called it quits, too, hitting .258/.326/.379 in 454 at-bats in his final year. 20 years later, he still ranks as the Brewers’ all-time leader in hits (3,142), runs (1,632), doubles (583), triples (126), homers (251), RBI (1,406) and walks (966), and the only one of those marks that will fall anytime soon is the homers, with Ryan Braun 40 away.
The ceremony for Yount will begin at 6:45 p.m. CDT tonight and stream live on MLB.com.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)