Aug 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
2013 wasn’t a very good year for the Brewers to come up with anniversaries. 2012 was the 30th anniversary of the best team the franchise has ever put together, the 1982 Brewers that won 95 games and lost the World Series to the Cardinals in seven games.
30 years ago: 87-75, fifth place in the AL East
25 years ago: 85-75, third place in AL East
20 years ago: 69-93, seventh place in the AL East
15 years ago: 74-88, fifth place in the NL Central
10 years ago: 68-94, sixth place in the NL Central
So, yeah, picking out a player to honor from the group was the best idea, and there’s no better player in Brewers history than Robin Yount, who played his final game on Oct. 2, 1993 for that 69-93 team. Yount started so young that he was just 37 when he retired and still got 20 years in. He was a decent enough player when he called it quits, too, hitting .258/.326/.379 in 454 at-bats in his final year. 20 years later, he still ranks as the Brewers’ all-time leader in hits (3,142), runs (1,632), doubles (583), triples (126), homers (251), RBI (1,406) and walks (966), and the only one of those marks that will fall anytime soon is the homers, with Ryan Braun 40 away.
The ceremony for Yount will begin at 6:45 p.m. CDT tonight and stream live on MLB.com.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)