Aug 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
2013 wasn’t a very good year for the Brewers to come up with anniversaries. 2012 was the 30th anniversary of the best team the franchise has ever put together, the 1982 Brewers that won 95 games and lost the World Series to the Cardinals in seven games.
30 years ago: 87-75, fifth place in the AL East
25 years ago: 85-75, third place in AL East
20 years ago: 69-93, seventh place in the AL East
15 years ago: 74-88, fifth place in the NL Central
10 years ago: 68-94, sixth place in the NL Central
So, yeah, picking out a player to honor from the group was the best idea, and there’s no better player in Brewers history than Robin Yount, who played his final game on Oct. 2, 1993 for that 69-93 team. Yount started so young that he was just 37 when he retired and still got 20 years in. He was a decent enough player when he called it quits, too, hitting .258/.326/.379 in 454 at-bats in his final year. 20 years later, he still ranks as the Brewers’ all-time leader in hits (3,142), runs (1,632), doubles (583), triples (126), homers (251), RBI (1,406) and walks (966), and the only one of those marks that will fall anytime soon is the homers, with Ryan Braun 40 away.
The ceremony for Yount will begin at 6:45 p.m. CDT tonight and stream live on MLB.com.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)