Aug 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
2013 wasn’t a very good year for the Brewers to come up with anniversaries. 2012 was the 30th anniversary of the best team the franchise has ever put together, the 1982 Brewers that won 95 games and lost the World Series to the Cardinals in seven games.
30 years ago: 87-75, fifth place in the AL East
25 years ago: 85-75, third place in AL East
20 years ago: 69-93, seventh place in the AL East
15 years ago: 74-88, fifth place in the NL Central
10 years ago: 68-94, sixth place in the NL Central
So, yeah, picking out a player to honor from the group was the best idea, and there’s no better player in Brewers history than Robin Yount, who played his final game on Oct. 2, 1993 for that 69-93 team. Yount started so young that he was just 37 when he retired and still got 20 years in. He was a decent enough player when he called it quits, too, hitting .258/.326/.379 in 454 at-bats in his final year. 20 years later, he still ranks as the Brewers’ all-time leader in hits (3,142), runs (1,632), doubles (583), triples (126), homers (251), RBI (1,406) and walks (966), and the only one of those marks that will fall anytime soon is the homers, with Ryan Braun 40 away.
The ceremony for Yount will begin at 6:45 p.m. CDT tonight and stream live on MLB.com.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)