Aug 2, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
People won’t come to Marlins games as long as it’s in that awful, outdoor, hot, steamy, remote converted football stadium, they said. We need a new ballpark to put butts in the seats, they said. About that:
What has moving to Miami brought the Marlins? About 100 extra fans per game. That’s the current gap between this year’s attendance and the average gate count for the Marlins’ last season at Sun Life Stadium, the football field that owner Jeffrey Loria blamed for the team’s long-standing attendance and revenue woes.
I’m sure those fans are paying more money per person once you figure in parking and merch and concessions and things, but it’s pretty remarkable for a team to have lost the entire honeymoon effect of a new park so darn quickly.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)