Aug 2, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
This is ugly and awful: Class A Asheville relief pitchers Michael Mason and Jesse Meaux were charged today with two counts each of first-degree rape and first-degree sex offense. From the Asheville Citizen-Times:
The alleged offenses involved one woman and happened in the early morning hours on Saturday at the players’ apartment on Ascot Point Circle, according to a police incident report and arrest warrants. Both players have been suspended from the baseball team.
Meaux was released from custody after posting a $100,000 bond, according to The Citizen-Times. Mason is still in Buncombe County jail. Both have been ordered not to leave North Carolina. The Rockies have released a statement:
“The Colorado Rockies and their affiliate, the Asheville Tourists, are aware of the arrests and the very serious allegations made against two players, Michael Mason and Jesse Meaux,” the Rockies said in a statement Thursday night. “Each organization is shocked and deeply concerned about the allegations. At this time, the players have been suspended as the investigation and legal process continue.
“We are working with the authorities investigating the circumstances and issues surrounding the events and are awaiting further details and findings. Given that this is an ongoing legal investigation, it would be inappropriate to comment or speculate any further.”
As MiLB.com notes, Mason had a 3.38 ERA in 21 appearances this season. Meaux had a 0.90 ERA in 16 games but hadn’t pitched since May 24 due to a right-shoulder injury. Each of them face life in prison without parole if convicted.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 0
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 153
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)