Aug 2, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Yankees have activated outfielder Curtis Granderson from the disabled list and will bat him fifth in tonight’s starting lineup against the Padres. Granderson missed the first 38 games of the season with a fractured right forearm. In his eighth game of the season on May 24 against the Rays, Granderson was hit on the left hand with a Cesar Ramos fastball, fracturing the fifth metacarpal. He missed 60 more games.
Granderson’s return is a boon for the Yankees, who enter tonight’s game against the Padres with the fourth-worst aggregate outfield OPS in the American League at .696. By isolated power (slugging percentage minus batting average), their outfielders have hit for the least amount of power at .122. The league average is .151 and the Rangers lead at .184.
Granderson, 32 years old, is a free agent after the season. The Yankees picked up his $15 million option for the 2013 season, the final leg of a five-year, $30.25 million extension signed with the Tigers in February 2008.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (114)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)