Aug 3, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Alex Cobb‘s return from a concussion hit a minor snag last week due to a blister on his right index finger, but he’s ready to return to game action.
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Cobb will resume a minor league rehab assignment tonight for High-A Charlotte, throwing around four innings or 65 pitches. The right-hander hasn’t pitched for the Rays since he was hit in the head by a line drive back on June 15. He was set to make his first rehab start on July 23, but lasted just two pitches before leaving with the blister.
Cobb, who has a 3.01 ERA in 13 starts this season, figures to make at least two starts in the minors before being activated. Assuming Matt Moore can make it back from a sore left elbow with no issues, the Rays will soon have to decide whether Chris Archer or Roberto Hernandez will stick in the rotation.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)