Aug 3, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Alex Cobb‘s return from a concussion hit a minor snag last week due to a blister on his right index finger, but he’s ready to return to game action.
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Cobb will resume a minor league rehab assignment tonight for High-A Charlotte, throwing around four innings or 65 pitches. The right-hander hasn’t pitched for the Rays since he was hit in the head by a line drive back on June 15. He was set to make his first rehab start on July 23, but lasted just two pitches before leaving with the blister.
Cobb, who has a 3.01 ERA in 13 starts this season, figures to make at least two starts in the minors before being activated. Assuming Matt Moore can make it back from a sore left elbow with no issues, the Rays will soon have to decide whether Chris Archer or Roberto Hernandez will stick in the rotation.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The Lester trade is a win-win 87
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 147
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (147)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)