Aug 3, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
On the heels of being knocked around for six runs over 3 2/3 innings last night in a loss to the Rangers, Athletics left-hander Tommy Milone has been optioned to Triple-A Sacramento.
Milone surprised with a 3.74 ERA in 31 starts last season, but he has taken a step back his year, posting a 4.39 ERA through 22 starts. The 26-year-old gave up two home runs last night, bringing his total to 22 over 133 1/3 innings. He allowed 24 in 190 innings last year. Not surprisingly, most of his struggles have come on the road, as he has a 5.00 ERA in 12 starts away from O.co Coliseum.
The Athletics have called up right-handed reliever Evan Scribner to replace Milone on the active roster. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle estimates that the A’s won’t need a fifth starter again until August 13. Milone could return at that time, though the A’s could opt to give Sonny Gray the opportunity. Brett Anderson is gearing up for a rehab assignment following a stress fracture in his foot, so he should be an option for the rotation before long.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 5
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 113
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)