Aug 3, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
Make that four straight losses for CC Sabathia. The veteran southpaw struggled once again last night, giving up five runs over 5 2/3 innings against the Padres.
Sabathia yielded a season-high 14 baserunners (11 hits and three walks), including a fourth-inning solo home run by Logan Forsythe. His 24 home runs allowed this season are a career-high.
Sabathia has allowed 27 runs (22 earned) over 19 2/3 innings over his last four starts, bringing his ERA to 4.78 for the season. While Yankees manager Joe Girardi expressed confidence that he’ll eventually get over the hump, Sabathia indicated to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that the struggles are taking its toll on him.
“Of course,” Sabathia said when asked whether he was now worried about his season. “Who wouldn’t be?”
Hiroki Kuroda has pitched brilliantly for the Yankees this season and Ivan Nova has been a pleasant surprise recently, but it’s hard to imagine the Yankees making a run if Sabathia can’t right himself soon.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)