Aug 3, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
Make that four straight losses for CC Sabathia. The veteran southpaw struggled once again last night, giving up five runs over 5 2/3 innings against the Padres.
Sabathia yielded a season-high 14 baserunners (11 hits and three walks), including a fourth-inning solo home run by Logan Forsythe. His 24 home runs allowed this season are a career-high.
Sabathia has allowed 27 runs (22 earned) over 19 2/3 innings over his last four starts, bringing his ERA to 4.78 for the season. While Yankees manager Joe Girardi expressed confidence that he’ll eventually get over the hump, Sabathia indicated to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that the struggles are taking its toll on him.
“Of course,” Sabathia said when asked whether he was now worried about his season. “Who wouldn’t be?”
Hiroki Kuroda has pitched brilliantly for the Yankees this season and Ivan Nova has been a pleasant surprise recently, but it’s hard to imagine the Yankees making a run if Sabathia can’t right himself soon.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)