Aug 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
The Mets announced this morning that third baseman David Wright was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Outfielder Mike Baxter has been recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas to take his place on the active roster.
Wright suffered the injury in last night’s game against the Royals while he was running down the first base line on an infield single in the 10th inning. He had been dealing with some cramping in the area in recent days, but he finally reached a breaking point when he had to bust it down the line.
Wright was sent for an MRI earlier today, so there should be some clarity on a timetable soon. The Mets are going with Justin Turner at third base and Josh Satin at first today with the left-hander Bruce Chen on the hill for Kansas City. According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins said this morning that Daniel Murphy could move to third base and Eric Young, Jr. could play second if Wright requires a lengthy absence. This could open the door for Lucas Duda to get his spot back in left field when he’s activated from the disabled list.
The injury is a tough blow for Wright, who is quietly having one of his best seasons. The 30-year-old owns a .309/.391/.512 batting line to go along with 16 home runs, 17 stolen bases, and 54 RBI in 105 games.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)