Aug 3, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will sit out the remainder of his team’s series in San Diego against the Padres due to a calf problem, reports Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger. Jeter went 1-for-4 with a single in the series opener last night. Overall, he has three hits, including a solo home run, in 17 plate appearances since returning. They expect Jeter to return to the lineup on Monday against the White Sox.
This is the third time this season Jeter will miss time due to an injury. He missed the first 91 games of the season recovering from a broken ankle suffered in the ALDS last year. He made his season debut on July 11, but went back on the shelf with a strained right quadriceps. He has played in five of his team’s 108 games entering tonight.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)