Aug 3, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will sit out the remainder of his team’s series in San Diego against the Padres due to a calf problem, reports Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger. Jeter went 1-for-4 with a single in the series opener last night. Overall, he has three hits, including a solo home run, in 17 plate appearances since returning. They expect Jeter to return to the lineup on Monday against the White Sox.
This is the third time this season Jeter will miss time due to an injury. He missed the first 91 games of the season recovering from a broken ankle suffered in the ALDS last year. He made his season debut on July 11, but went back on the shelf with a strained right quadriceps. He has played in five of his team’s 108 games entering tonight.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 14
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 41
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)