Dodgers stay hot, blank Cubs in record-setting road win

Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

As recently as June 22, the Dodgers were 31-42, 9.5 games out of first place in the NL West. Among other problems, they were dealing with a slew of injuries and were considering dealing Andre Ethier in what looked like a lost season. With a 3-0 victory over the Cubs this afternoon, the Dodgers improved to 60-49, 4.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks in first place.

Chris Capuano tossed six and one-third shutout innings, allowing six hits and one walk while striking out five. Kenley Jansen tossed a scoreless ninth for the save, his 16th of the year. Jerry Hairston put the Dodgers on the board with an RBI single in the third inning. Carl Crawford added two more runs on a single in the sixth.

The Dodgers have won seven of their last eight games, but more impressively, it was their 13th consecutive victory on the road:

1. emmanzep13 - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

hopefully puig is okay

• margaretaimai - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

• dannymac17 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM

fag

2. losanginsight - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Puig is literally a beast. I hope the wall is OK. Nice catch too.
    Let’s Go Dodgers!

• bchapman2011 - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Puig is beast but he is going to be a handful to deal with down the road. Especially if he signs on with JayZ. At some point(probably next season) the Dodgers are going to have to set the tone with him before his attitude gets out of control. I can see a fine or benching coming his way.

• erbaodai - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Trolls gonna troll.

3. whowhatwherefootball - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

How does signing with jayz make him a beast? Please dude sit down

4. pop562 - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Lets see if Fife can return Sunday with a solid game and not give up over 3 runs. Lets go for the sweep Dodgers.

5. dickclydesdale - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Congratulation to the Los Angeles Dodgers for a record of 13 straight road wins! Perhaps a once in a lifetime achievement that we witnessed.

6. acdc84 - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I’m a LAD fan and love Puig but I agree with Chapman. His arrogant act is kinda wearing thin and I’m definately starting to realize how he rubs opponents the wrong way. In his defense Sportscenter, the media and celebs have enabled to make him feel like a rockstar. He’s a great player, and even haters have to admire his ability and aggressiveness, and I can’t imagine another franchise that wouldnt love to have him, especially at his $6M per year contract for the next five years. That said his aggressiveness and willingness to run into walls is becoming irresponsible, and him flicking bats, casually running fly balls down, and showing up teams while on the base paths is arrogant and becoming disrespectful. I hope he can grow to the point that he’s still aggressive, exciting, and a joy to watch, while he reins it in a bit where he doesn’t make dumb “aggressive” mistakes or piss off reasonable veteran opponents.

Bottom line, I love Puig; he’s been great for the Dodgers and MLB as a whole. I just hope he can balance his game where he’s still an awesome player while he cuts out the things that draw a lot of criticism…

7. yankeepunk3000 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

funny that his attitude became what we thought Bryce was deff. going to become. It’s all screwed around. guy has hall of fame talent with a bush league attitude…maybye he will learn over time

8. earpaniac - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I believe his comment says he will become more of a handful if he signs with Jay-Z, that he’s already a beast.

9. modellforprez - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yous better smartin up. Donald Baseball has his squad playing great ball right now. With the emergence of Puig and the Stellar pitching Clayton and the other pieces they have obtained they are in a good place right now and will probably make a run to the Series

• jimeejohnson - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Donald Baseball! That’s a good one. It’s Donnie, ok?

10. decimusprime - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

First of all, Go Blue! Even though we were bottom feeders most of the first half, you had to keep hope alive…then M.V.Puig. showed up. Then things changed. He might be brash, arrogant, and a little wet behind the ears but once he got to LA the team started not only gelling, but winning. Its true that he has the same fire and warrior spirit as B. Harper has…funny side note on Harper, his signature move is running bases so hard his helmet flies off right…I saw him actually reach up and flip his helmet off when he came back from the DL. Premeditated…I now think its all for show. As long as the dodgers are having fun as a team and winning, who cares if Yasiel is being “Hollywood” in Hollywood? I surely don’t.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

It’s like the continental weather balance applied to Northern and Southern Cal: when the Dodgers are good, the Giants suck, and vice-versa.

11. jimsjam33 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Arrogant ? Just win baby ! Puig just keeping on doing whatever it is that you do . Dodger fans are loving it .

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet