Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
As recently as June 22, the Dodgers were 31-42, 9.5 games out of first place in the NL West. Among other problems, they were dealing with a slew of injuries and were considering dealing Andre Ethier in what looked like a lost season. With a 3-0 victory over the Cubs this afternoon, the Dodgers improved to 60-49, 4.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks in first place.
Chris Capuano tossed six and one-third shutout innings, allowing six hits and one walk while striking out five. Kenley Jansen tossed a scoreless ninth for the save, his 16th of the year. Jerry Hairston put the Dodgers on the board with an RBI single in the third inning. Carl Crawford added two more runs on a single in the sixth.
The Dodgers have won seven of their last eight games, but more impressively, it was their 13th consecutive victory on the road:
Dodgers have won 13 straight road games, the longest road win streak in franchise history.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 3, 2013
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 8
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)