Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
As recently as June 22, the Dodgers were 31-42, 9.5 games out of first place in the NL West. Among other problems, they were dealing with a slew of injuries and were considering dealing Andre Ethier in what looked like a lost season. With a 3-0 victory over the Cubs this afternoon, the Dodgers improved to 60-49, 4.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks in first place.
Chris Capuano tossed six and one-third shutout innings, allowing six hits and one walk while striking out five. Kenley Jansen tossed a scoreless ninth for the save, his 16th of the year. Jerry Hairston put the Dodgers on the board with an RBI single in the third inning. Carl Crawford added two more runs on a single in the sixth.
The Dodgers have won seven of their last eight games, but more impressively, it was their 13th consecutive victory on the road:
Dodgers have won 13 straight road games, the longest road win streak in franchise history.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 3, 2013
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (202)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)