Aug 3, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
Athletics catcher John Jaso was placed on the 7-day disabled list last Thursday after he suffered a concussion from taking foul tips off the mask in back-to-back games. Nine days later, he isn’t making much progress.
Jaso told Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com that he’s still experiencing ringing in his ears when he wakes up, as if he was at a “rock concert the night before.” Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that he’ll undergo more extensive testing Monday, but he won’t fly with the team when they begin their upcoming roadtrip and will need to be cleared by MLB doctors before returning to game action. Derek Norris and Stephen Vogt will continue to share playing time behind the plate for AL West-leading Oakland until he’s ready.
Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners over the winter in a three-team trade, is batting .271/.387/.372 with three home runs and 21 RBI in 70 games this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)