Aug 3, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
Athletics catcher John Jaso was placed on the 7-day disabled list last Thursday after he suffered a concussion from taking foul tips off the mask in back-to-back games. Nine days later, he isn’t making much progress.
Jaso told Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com that he’s still experiencing ringing in his ears when he wakes up, as if he was at a “rock concert the night before.” Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that he’ll undergo more extensive testing Monday, but he won’t fly with the team when they begin their upcoming roadtrip and will need to be cleared by MLB doctors before returning to game action. Derek Norris and Stephen Vogt will continue to share playing time behind the plate for AL West-leading Oakland until he’s ready.
Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners over the winter in a three-team trade, is batting .271/.387/.372 with three home runs and 21 RBI in 70 games this season.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)