Aug 3, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Athletics catcher John Jaso was placed on the 7-day disabled list last Thursday after he suffered a concussion from taking foul tips off the mask in back-to-back games. Nine days later, he isn’t making much progress.
Jaso told Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com that he’s still experiencing ringing in his ears when he wakes up, as if he was at a “rock concert the night before.” Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that he’ll undergo more extensive testing Monday, but he won’t fly with the team when they begin their upcoming roadtrip and will need to be cleared by MLB doctors before returning to game action. Derek Norris and Stephen Vogt will continue to share playing time behind the plate for AL West-leading Oakland until he’s ready.
Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners over the winter in a three-team trade, is batting .271/.387/.372 with three home runs and 21 RBI in 70 games this season.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)