Aug 3, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Tigers starter Max Scherzer silenced White Sox hitters over seven and two-thirds innings tonight, improving to 16-1 with the 3-0 victory. The right-hander allowed three hits and three walks while striking out six, lowering his ERA to 2.85. Scherzer got two quick outs in the seventh, but was lifted for newly-acquired reliever Jose Veras after Alejandro De Aza singled to center. Joaquin Benoit took over in the ninth and converted the save, his 12th of the year.
Max Scherzer is the 1st pitcher to win 16 of his first 17 decisions since Roger Clemens in 2001. (h/t @EliasSports)
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 4, 2013
The Tigers’ three runs came on three solo home runs by Torii Hunter, Jhonny Peralta, and Jose Iglesias. They were again without Miguel Cabrera, who hasn’t played since July 30. This season, the Tigers are, astonishingly, 7-1 without him (via ESPN Stats & Info). Cabrera hopes he’ll be able to play tomorrow, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck.
The win moves the first-place Tigers to 63-45. The Indians defeated the Marlins 4-3 tonight, holding the three-game differential between the two clubs in the AL Central.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 34
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)