Aug 3, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Tigers starter Max Scherzer silenced White Sox hitters over seven and two-thirds innings tonight, improving to 16-1 with the 3-0 victory. The right-hander allowed three hits and three walks while striking out six, lowering his ERA to 2.85. Scherzer got two quick outs in the seventh, but was lifted for newly-acquired reliever Jose Veras after Alejandro De Aza singled to center. Joaquin Benoit took over in the ninth and converted the save, his 12th of the year.
Max Scherzer is the 1st pitcher to win 16 of his first 17 decisions since Roger Clemens in 2001. (h/t @EliasSports)
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 4, 2013
The Tigers’ three runs came on three solo home runs by Torii Hunter, Jhonny Peralta, and Jose Iglesias. They were again without Miguel Cabrera, who hasn’t played since July 30. This season, the Tigers are, astonishingly, 7-1 without him (via ESPN Stats & Info). Cabrera hopes he’ll be able to play tomorrow, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck.
The win moves the first-place Tigers to 63-45. The Indians defeated the Marlins 4-3 tonight, holding the three-game differential between the two clubs in the AL Central.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)