Max Scherzer puts on clinic against the White Sox, improves to 16-1

Aug 3, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT

Max Scherzer AP

Tigers starter Max Scherzer silenced White Sox hitters over seven and two-thirds innings tonight, improving to 16-1 with the 3-0 victory. The right-hander allowed three hits and three walks while striking out six, lowering his ERA to 2.85. Scherzer got two quick outs in the seventh, but was lifted for newly-acquired reliever Jose Veras after Alejandro De Aza singled to center. Joaquin Benoit took over in the ninth and converted the save, his 12th of the year.

The Tigers’ three runs came on three solo home runs by Torii Hunter, Jhonny Peralta, and Jose Iglesias. They were again without Miguel Cabrera, who hasn’t played since July 30. This season, the Tigers are, astonishingly, 7-1 without him (via ESPN Stats & Info). Cabrera hopes he’ll be able to play tomorrow, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck.

The win moves the first-place Tigers to 63-45. The Indians defeated the Marlins 4-3 tonight, holding the three-game differential between the two clubs in the AL Central.

1. historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

/jumps up & down, runs around the room, giggles & screams, jumps up & down again

• margaretaimai - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Sorry old gator I know this is your other name, nobody cares where you buy anything. Seriously ban this guy already!!!

• abaird2012 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM

That was actually kind of funny, Harry.

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

No it actually wasn’t. It was just harry being pathetic again.

• lazlosother - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM

boo’s and throws popcorn, for absolutely no reason.

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Jealous.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Settle down, young lady. Long way to go. (Though, truth be told, I would love to see Leyland get another ring.)

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I think you also meant to ‘slap your neighbor’ – and hopefully your neighbor is Harry.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Hey congrats to Max, great season he really has rebounded and good for him and I hope the tigers win the WS. With that said how about those 10 games below .500 bluejays? I mean does this team ever get a decent pitching performance from ANYBODY?? Check out this line!!!

E Rogers (L, 3-6) 5.0 10 7 5 1 5 1 97-65 4.61

That’s just sad on every level but the jays deserve it and I hope it continues I want this team to join the expos ASAP!! Rogers is a joke as a starter and has proven that time and time again, the jays farm system has nothing to offer. The farm system is bare folks, get rid of this team!!! NOBODY CARES!! and pc, old douche and the rest of the clowns can tell me how wrong I am but at the end of the day. IM RIGHT!! Who’s next?

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

harry, did you give me a bunch of thumbs down? >:(

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM

nope I don’t ever do thumbs up or down, personally I wish the entire world would give me one big thumbs down but for some reason im getting positive results here which ticks me off. I want ALL of you to HATE ME!!! Cause I HATE ALL OF YOU!! And to my fan club, thumb me down on this board, it makes me feel happy!!

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t hate you. Have a nice night.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Hey that’s ok with me man, I don’t hate you either historiophiliac and to be honest I wouldn’t be here without fans like you. I consider us good friends and I mean friends until the end. I would take a bullet for you man that’s how much I think of you. Me and you brother!!! ok I gotta go to bed im all choked up here now.

• dawgpoundmember - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Tough thread huh, historio? Don’t worry about them, I’ve been on vacation for over a week and I missed seeing your comments. I’m excited about watching Tiger games again, but glad to know they had a great week. Look forward towards your commetns.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Harry just received another Canada Goose..

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Nice little fake speech, harry. Too bad you are in actuality too dense and too wrapped up in yourself to really get to know the other posters on this board, even the “good friends” you would “take a bullet for”.

For example, although you probably don’t realize (or likely don’t care), Historiophiliac is neither a “man” or a “brother”. She is, however, a knowledgeable baseball fan and an articulate poster — except when she gets all giddy over a win by His Heterochromianess or an MGB! — and she /boos a lot and throws way too much popcorn and peanuts at the rest of us.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Time for embarrassingly long bro hugs! Harry’s right – Historio – you have big fucking balls, brother. Big fucking balls.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

harry,

The last time I paid the attention you do to an entity that did not wish it, I was called a stalker. What is it, man, are you a self-hating closeted Jays fan?

Scott

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

stalker? Why don’t you clowns call PC out for what he does here? oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we cant do that, its ok I will always be the difference maker here. by the way nice name scotty

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I realize that engaging someone who is not apparently in his right mind is a form of delusion, in and of itself, but here goes…

I get it, you are a Yankees fan. I do not get your obsession with the Blue Jays. The aggressiveness with which you approached “Josh ‘1 win’ Johnson through various threads last night, and your introduction of the Blue Jays into this thread demonstrate an unhealthy fixation. Your completely unsolicited attack on Gator, as a response to what is clearly a spam-type comment, only further demonstrates your paranoia.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM

And, never Scotty. That is a breed of terrier.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Well scotty ( I really do like that name) Yes im a Yankees fan but don stick up for gator he made his own bed I never singled him out and to be honest I was wrong to try that. I feel bad for the old guy to be honest so I take that back. With that said im a fan of yours on this board so I didn’t mean to upset you. Now since we share the same first name I always liked scotty and I will tell you why. When a cute young chick would call me that, ohhh I knew I was in for a great nite as im sure you know so lets not kid each other there (wink wink). But na you are good people and so is gator even though he hates me but that’s how I want it anyway. Hope you accept my apology the three of ya

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Still do not understand your fixation with the Jays. This thread was a post about a Tigers pitcher, why the Jays obsession? When you demonstrate that you are incapable of commenting on the topic appropriately, you lose credibility. If you want to be hated, then post on the topic at hand in a contrarian (and hostile) fashion. But, please, get off the Blue Jays.

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Scott, harry rants on the Jays (and Canadians) because that is his shtick, the only note he knows how to play. He regularly disregards facts, trolls PC and Cur and Gator (and does it badly).

Most of us have long since figured him out as an attention-seeker with a vastly inflated notion of himself and his baseball “knowledge” (which seems to be limited to reading the Jays’ box score and ranting on the first thing that jumps to mind.) During the Jays’ 11-game win streak earlier in the season he was very conspicuous by his absence — he claimed to be “on vacation”.

Anyway, that’s dirtyharry in a nutshell. He’s just a very one-dimensional hater once you get to know him.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

nb, I have picked up on his schtick. My brain had beer muscles, so I thought I could use rhetoric and discussion with him.

• abaird2012 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Why would Harry want the Blue Jays to move to Washington? I don’t think that market can support two teams.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Because he’s an idiot.

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!!

3. jwbiii - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Bill, You may wish to avoid the word “clinic” meaning “something good” in the near future. I just awoke from a post prandial nap and saw the words “Scherzer” and “clinic” in the headline and thought “Oh, shit!”

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM

5. a class of students assembled for such instruction (dictionary.com)

By this definition, Bill was correct. Max put on a clinic.

• jwbiii - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I agree, scott. But in the current baseball milieu we find ourselves in, the word clinic has very negative connotations. “Scherzer Schooled the White Sox” would make exactly the same point without using a loaded word.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Ehh, “schooled” has a connotation of intentionally demeaning one’s inferiors. I like “clinic”, it still implies that learning by observation can occur. Admittedly, my preference.

• jwbiii - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Tonight, the White Sox were Scherzer’s inferiors*. I think that he took the mound with the intent to pitch well, so I’m ok with that connotation.

*Unfortunately for me, they have also often proved to be inferior to many less than outstanding pitchers.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I am a Phillies fan, I do understand being one’s inferiors.

4. andrewcaraven123 - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Sadie. if you think Charlotte`s story is impressive, yesterday I bought a top of the range Lotus Elan from having made $6282 this munth and just over $10,000 last-munth. with-out any question its the most-comfortable work I have ever had. I began this four months/ago and almost straight away was bringin home minimum $71 per-hour. I went to this site, BAM21.com

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

This site needs a better spam filter.

• buffal0sportsfan - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

When the spam can’t even spell month right you know it’s bad

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Yeah, but that wouldn’t work as a filter. A lot of posters on here can’t spell very well, either.

5. Blackhawks5xchamps - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

You monkeys need to get a life….

• lionstigersandwingsohmy - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Winning the stanley cup five times as an original 6 team is not impressive.

• Blackhawks5xchamps - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

It’s only the beginning son. This fantastic franchise has atleast 3-5 more cups written all over it. Go away hater. Try to pull your shitty Red Wings through the playoffs “like the old days”.

6. obpedmypants - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This game was all-around win for the AL central. Scherzer gets publicity, Detroit gets one win closer to the playoffs, and Chicago gets one loss closer to Carlos Rondon.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3114)