Aug 3, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz came up limping after running out a ground out in the eighth inning of this afternoon’s game against the Athletics. Cruz, who went 0-for-4, was replaced by Craig Gentry, who went to center while Leonys Martin took Cruz’s position in right field. The Rangers went on to drop the game 4-2.
Cruz, who entered the afternoon with an .845 OPS, should have plenty of time to recuperate from his injury as he is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended by Major League Baseball on Monday for their involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. The suspension (and injury) comes at a bad time as the Rangers just had their five-game winning streak snapped, cutting their deficit to the Athletics in the AL West from six games to three games in the process. The Rangers failed to procure an outfielder before the July 31 trade deadline and will have to rely on internal options for the foreseeable future. It remains possible they could add an outfielder via waivers before the August 31 deadline.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)