Aug 3, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz came up limping after running out a ground out in the eighth inning of this afternoon’s game against the Athletics. Cruz, who went 0-for-4, was replaced by Craig Gentry, who went to center while Leonys Martin took Cruz’s position in right field. The Rangers went on to drop the game 4-2.
Cruz, who entered the afternoon with an .845 OPS, should have plenty of time to recuperate from his injury as he is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended by Major League Baseball on Monday for their involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. The suspension (and injury) comes at a bad time as the Rangers just had their five-game winning streak snapped, cutting their deficit to the Athletics in the AL West from six games to three games in the process. The Rangers failed to procure an outfielder before the July 31 trade deadline and will have to rely on internal options for the foreseeable future. It remains possible they could add an outfielder via waivers before the August 31 deadline.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)