Aug 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
A source told Outside the Lines that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will be suspended by Major League Baseball on Monday. It is expected that Rodriguez will be suspended through the 2014 season. Rodriguez just had his 38th birthday, so if he is to return after his suspension, he would be 40 years old when the 2015 season ends.
An important detail:
UPDATE: If Alex Rodriguez can’t play while he appeals & he does not get reinstated before 2014 season, he will lose $34.2 million in salary.
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) August 4, 2013
Rodriguez has already stated that he plans to appeal any suspension.
Speaking to the media after last night’s rehab game with the Trenton Thunder, Rodriguez said he felt he could play another five years. He currently has 647 career home runs to his name, 13 shy of tying Willie Mays in fourth place on the all-time list. Assuming relatively good health, Rodriguez likely would have easily moved atop Mays in 2014.
Outside the Lines also learned that up to 12 additional players will receive 50-game suspensions without appeal.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)