Aug 3, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
The Yankees weren’t the only ones who were peeved by Alex Rodriguez‘s comments following his rehab game with Double-A Trenton last night. Apparently it was enough for MLB to cut off any talks of a settlement.
Bill Madden, Michael O’Keefee and Teri Thompson of the New York Daily News have the latest developments in the ever-evolving saga.
Alex Rodriguez just talked himself out of a possible settlement with Major League Baseball and faces a 214-game suspension to be handed down on Monday, the Daily News has learned.
Following Rodriguez’s explosive comments after Friday night’s minor league rehab game in Trenton in which Rodriguez basically said Major League Baseball and the Yankees were conspiring to keep him off the field in order to void his contract, MLB officials have rejected Rodriguez’s request to negotiate a suspension settlement, a baseball source familiar with the situation said.
According to the source, Players Association chief Michael Weiner reached out to MLB on behalf of Rodriguez Saturday morning in an attempt to talk settlement but was told that baseball is no longer interested in negotiating with the disgraced third baseman.
“They asked for a meeting this morning and were told ‘no,’” said the source. “Baseball is more than comfortable with what they have.”
Interestingly, this report isn’t nearly as definitive about Rodriguez potentially facing a lifetime ban from MLB, which has been rumored in reports all week long. Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News writes that a lifetime ban “still appears to be in play,” but the wording is very interesting here.
David Waldstein of the New York Times was told by a source that Rodriguez has met with MLB four times during its investigation. However, the New York Daily News report says the “most substantive” offer from A-Rod’s camp during the discussions with MLB and the players union called for him to serve an 80-100 game suspension before promising to retire. The catch is that he still wanted to collect the rest of his contract, which one source likened to “paid vacation.”
Rodriguez also reportedly contacted the Yankees today in an effort to discuss a settlement over the roughly $100 million remaining on his contract. The also team declined, telling him that they are not involved in MLB’s investigation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)