Aug 3, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler has been sidelined for the last month due to a herniated disk in his lower back. Reports from a week and a half ago estimated the lefty may miss another month, leading to a late August return, but the latest from Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post suggests Detwiler may not return at all.
Detwiler visited specialist Robert Watkins Sr., a renowned back surgeon based in California, last month for a second opinion. Watkins diagnosed the herniated disk and prescribed a month of rest and anti-inflammatory medication.
By that point, Detwiler will not have pitched in about two months. The Nationals would place Detwiler on a full throwing program to rebuild his arm strength, “almost like you go through spring training again,” Johnson said.
Kilgore does add that the Nationals are still hoping to bring him back in September to see where he’s at, whether or not the team is still a contender in the NL East and Wild Card races. Before landing on the DL, Detwiler posted a 4.04 ERA in 71.1 innings over 13 starts.
In Detwiler’s absence, rookie Taylor Jordan has filled in admirably, compiling a 3.31 ERA in 35.1 innings over six starts.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)