Aug 3, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt suffered a setback in his quest to recover from a strained left hamstring. Troy Renck reports that the veteran right-hander had to quit a simulated game after two batters. Oswalt, who has been out since July 8, said “it’s going to take a couple more weeks”, effectively moving his earliest return date to mid-August. Oswalt posted a 7.64 ERA in 17 and two-thirds innings spread out over four starts.
The Rockies could use some rotation help if and when Oswalt returns. They own the National League’s fourth-worst aggregate starting pitching ERA at 4.47. Collin McHugh and Chad Bettis each started for the club recently, becoming the ninth and tenth pitchers to make a start in a Rockies uniform this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)