Aug 3, 2013, 10:10 AM EST
After being limited to just 13 starts between 2011-2012 due to Tommy John surgery, Jorge De La Rosa has bounced back quite nicely this season with a 3.21 ERA and 86/44 K/BB ratio in 126 1/3 innings across 22 starts. And the Rockies intend to keep him in the fold for next season.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Rockies owner Dick Monfort said yesterday that the team intends to pick up De La Rosa’s $11 million club option for 2014. The 32-year-old left-hander originally signed a two-year, $21.5 million contract with the Rockies in November of 2010. When he exercised his $11 million player option for 2013 last October, it triggered a club option for 2014.
De La Rosa currently has his lowest strikeout (6.13 K.9) rate since 2007, but he is also walking fewer batters than ever before. Meanwhile, his ground ball tendencies have allowed him to keep the ball in the ballpark. He may not be a frontline starter, but reliable arms are hard to come by in Colorado.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)