Aug 3, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Everth Cabrera is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended for ties to Biogenesis and PEDs, so it appears that the Padres are getting an insurance policy in place. Cedeno would give them another option to play shortstop alongside Alexi Amarista and Logan Forsythe.
Cedeno was released by the Astros last week after batting .220/.260/.298 with one home run and 12 RBI in 155 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old has a .245 batting average and .641 OPS over nine seasons in the majors.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)