Aug 3, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Everth Cabrera is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended for ties to Biogenesis and PEDs, so it appears that the Padres are getting an insurance policy in place. Cedeno would give them another option to play shortstop alongside Alexi Amarista and Logan Forsythe.
Cedeno was released by the Astros last week after batting .220/.260/.298 with one home run and 12 RBI in 155 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old has a .245 batting average and .641 OPS over nine seasons in the majors.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (121)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)