Aug 3, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Everth Cabrera is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended for ties to Biogenesis and PEDs, so it appears that the Padres are getting an insurance policy in place. Cedeno would give them another option to play shortstop alongside Alexi Amarista and Logan Forsythe.
Cedeno was released by the Astros last week after batting .220/.260/.298 with one home run and 12 RBI in 155 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old has a .245 batting average and .641 OPS over nine seasons in the majors.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 4
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)