Aug 3, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Everth Cabrera is one of a handful of players expected to be suspended for ties to Biogenesis and PEDs, so it appears that the Padres are getting an insurance policy in place. Cedeno would give them another option to play shortstop alongside Alexi Amarista and Logan Forsythe.
Cedeno was released by the Astros last week after batting .220/.260/.298 with one home run and 12 RBI in 155 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old has a .245 batting average and .641 OPS over nine seasons in the majors.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)