Aug 4, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez is back in the Rockies’ starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale with the Pirates after sitting out three straight games due to ongoing discomfort in his sprained right middle finger.
The sprain has been bothering CarGo for most of the summer and it’s the type of injury that is only going to heal with rest. The 27-year-old left fielder has committed to playing through it despite Colorado’s minuscule odds of cracking the postseason bubble.
Gonzalez is hitting .302/.368/.594 with 26 homers, 70 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 102 games this season for the 52-60 Rockies. His .962 OPS currently ranks first among qualified batters in the National League.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)