Aug 4, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
Carlos Gonzalez is back in the Rockies’ starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale with the Pirates after sitting out three straight games due to ongoing discomfort in his sprained right middle finger.
The sprain has been bothering CarGo for most of the summer and it’s the type of injury that is only going to heal with rest. The 27-year-old left fielder has committed to playing through it despite Colorado’s minuscule odds of cracking the postseason bubble.
Gonzalez is hitting .302/.368/.594 with 26 homers, 70 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 102 games this season for the 52-60 Rockies. His .962 OPS currently ranks first among qualified batters in the National League.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)