Aug 4, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
From beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic comes word that the Diamondbacks have activated right-handed starter Brandon McCarthy from the disabled list and designated reliever Tony Sipp for assignment to open up a roster spot.
McCarthy wound up missing all of June and July with a right shoulder injury. He will return to the Snakes’ rotation for Sunday’s series finale with the Red Sox.
Sipp, a 30-year-old southpaw, had registered a 3.86 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and 37/18 K/BB ratio through 32 2/3 innings of relief this season for Arizona. He has held left-handed batters to a .220/.301/.410 slash line in his five-year major league career and could draw some interest on waivers from contending teams seeking a left-handed relief specialist.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)