Aug 4, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
From beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic comes word that the Diamondbacks have activated right-handed starter Brandon McCarthy from the disabled list and designated reliever Tony Sipp for assignment to open up a roster spot.
McCarthy wound up missing all of June and July with a right shoulder injury. He will return to the Snakes’ rotation for Sunday’s series finale with the Red Sox.
Sipp, a 30-year-old southpaw, had registered a 3.86 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and 37/18 K/BB ratio through 32 2/3 innings of relief this season for Arizona. He has held left-handed batters to a .220/.301/.410 slash line in his five-year major league career and could draw some interest on waivers from contending teams seeking a left-handed relief specialist.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)