Aug 4, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
From beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic comes word that the Diamondbacks have activated right-handed starter Brandon McCarthy from the disabled list and designated reliever Tony Sipp for assignment to open up a roster spot.
McCarthy wound up missing all of June and July with a right shoulder injury. He will return to the Snakes’ rotation for Sunday’s series finale with the Red Sox.
Sipp, a 30-year-old southpaw, had registered a 3.86 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and 37/18 K/BB ratio through 32 2/3 innings of relief this season for Arizona. He has held left-handed batters to a .220/.301/.410 slash line in his five-year major league career and could draw some interest on waivers from contending teams seeking a left-handed relief specialist.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 30
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 14
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86