Hanley Ramirez injures shoulder on foul ball catch attempt

Aug 4, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

hanley ramirez dodgers getty Getty Images

Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez had to leave this afternoon’s match against the Cubs after falling into the Wrigley Field stands attempting to catch a David DeJesus pop-up. Ramirez ranged to his right near the bullpen and snagged the ball before his momentum took him into the front row over the brick wall. He left with a “jammed shoulder”, per Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, and was replaced by Nick Punto after going 0-for-2 with a walk.

Via SB Nation, here is a .gif of the catch that caused Ramirez’s injury:

Losing Ramirez for any length of time would be a huge blow for the red-hot Dodgers. Since he returned from a strained left hamstring, the Dodgers have won 36 of 53 games (.679). Ramirez has posted a 1.063 OPS and been one of the most valuable players in the National League.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

With all due respect to Old Gator’s necessary Feesh skepticism, Hanley has proven to the Dodgers that he can bat cleanup and continue to play shortstop.

It will be a bummer should Hanley miss time over this.

• Jeff M. - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Totally. Hanley’s been on fire since he came back from the DL, and he’s a big part of the reason the Dodgers are doing so well.

This is minor, but Ramirez actually did catch that foul ball, so I think calling it an “attempt” is somewhat inaccurate.

• hadiharli - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

2. buffal0sportsfan - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Very Jeter-esqe of you Hanley

• Alex K - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

He won’t get half the love about it, though, because narrative.

3. spacemaker101 - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It’s like he doesn’t understand I’m trying to win my fantasy league and he is my ss.. Nah I’m kidding great play.. Hope he returns soon!

4. larrybrown43 - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hey, nice! Finally got to see my first clip on my phone.

5. windycity0301 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The GIF doesn’t do the play justice. In it, it looks like he was running full speed. Watching the play real time, it was a very slow jog at best. He, for lack of a better word, drifted to the ball. And when he caught it, he just kept on drifting. Can’t imagine an athlete like that couldn’t put the breaks on at all. The GIF above makes it look like he was at full speed, wasn’t even close. It was fairly routine, which is why I couldn’t understand how he ended up over the wall. Nice Catch, sorry he’s injured, but seems like it was completely avoidable.

All the trade deadline news to know