Aug 4, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez had to leave this afternoon’s match against the Cubs after falling into the Wrigley Field stands attempting to catch a David DeJesus pop-up. Ramirez ranged to his right near the bullpen and snagged the ball before his momentum took him into the front row over the brick wall. He left with a “jammed shoulder”, per Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, and was replaced by Nick Punto after going 0-for-2 with a walk.
Via SB Nation, here is a .gif of the catch that caused Ramirez’s injury:
Losing Ramirez for any length of time would be a huge blow for the red-hot Dodgers. Since he returned from a strained left hamstring, the Dodgers have won 36 of 53 games (.679). Ramirez has posted a 1.063 OPS and been one of the most valuable players in the National League.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)