Matt Garza went after Eric Sogard’s wife on Twitter

Aug 4, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT

garza getty Getty Images

The first-place A’s dropped down four bunts — three of them sacrifices — in Saturday’s 4-2 victory over the second-place Rangers. That apparently upset Texas starter Matt Garza, who was spotted yelling at Oakland’s Eric Sogard following a successful squeeze play in the seventh inning and then carried that frustration over to Twitter late Saturday night.

Sogard’s pregnant wife Kaycee was tweeting throughout the A’s win. She may have deleted some posts, but here are the last two entries from her account (you read tweets from bottom to top):

source:  And here’s a screengrab of Garza’s response (his account is now locked from view):

source:

Garza is a married man and a father to two young daughters. In other words, he’s a complete moron.

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. buffal0sportsfan - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Well it’s your fault for not having good bunt coverage so you should shut your trap.

• missthemexpos - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Lets see the number of bunts against Garza in his next start.

• buffal0sportsfan - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well if all goes as planned for the Rangers Garza’s next start will be against the Astros and we all know what power hitters they are

2. knicksmets - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That’s a little uncalled for

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Rangers need to pull their best Brain Cashman and tell Garza to STFU!

Although they probably already have. What an ass

• ditto65 - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

First time I have seen Cashman described as smart in a long time.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Well – I don’t know about smart, it’s more that he is applicable in this spot.

But yea, I get your point. If Cashman is the voice of reason, that goes to show how off base Garza is!

4. jjschiller - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Wow. Professional athlete reveals self to be misogynist human-garbage. I’m shocked!

5. carpi2 - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I wonder if the Rangers knew of Garza’s anger issues prior to trading for him?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

His entire career he’s been known to have temper tantrums. So it’s really not a shock he’d do this, the misogyny is new though and a great lesson for his daughters.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I didn’t know he was such a hothead. Setting aside for a moment, what it says about him as a person, that lack of self control is a terrible trait in a pitcher.

• Bryz - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Garza’s attitude was a big reason why the Twins traded him for another head case (Delmon Young).

6. sabatimus - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I smell divorce.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Why? Is your wallet leaking?

7. dondada10 - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My type of gal.

8. pgilbert15303 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Garza, it sounds like you had a little ROID rage.

Actually it sounds like baseball is a petulant boys club. Football, Rugby and UFC are the sport of real men.

I would love to see Patrick Willis charge the mound after you throw him.a little chin music because he bunted off you the at bat before. Now that would be mans game!

• hammyofdoom - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

All sports are “petulant boys clubs”. These guys have been playing a sport for decades and been told since they were little kids how great they were, it’s no shock that some of them never grow up.

9. thomas844 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

They should just put Sogard and Garza in a room together and let them fight it out until someone hits the ground. Dusty Baker can be the ref.

• beavertonsteve - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

If by Sogard you mean Kaycee.. sure, why not.

• dlhouse18 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Lock in at the rec center. Works every time.

10. Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Wow, what a jerk. Almost makes me happy the Feesh didn’t pull the trigger on that Garza/Tweeter trade year fore last.

Almost.

• knicksmets - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Even if they did he probably would gone, seeing as the marlins have gotten rid of almost everyone from their old teams except for Stanton

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Ah, but think of the prospects….

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Garza and Tweeter seem to be of similar minds, at least based on their Twitter histories.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Garza is fixated on female mouths and Tweeter has issues with tits. Perfect, no?

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

And both of them are male rectal orifices, so they have that in common as well.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

LoMo’s use of social media is less egregious. Garza has become known for a well-honed malevolence at every stop along his way. There are more trades in store I’m sure – as long as his million dollar arm keeps his ten-cent brain employed he will keep wearing out welcomes.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

According to my careful prosthesis, Matt Garza shows no signs of mantideophobia. So they have that to distinguish between them.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I’ll bite – is that a fear of being catfished?

11. cocheese000 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Reminds me of something that would happen with nfl players.

12. Willingham & Eggs - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Matt Garza knows that the only true, manly, way to handle your conflicts is through Twitter.

13. reeggss - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Wow, Sogard is really a pu$$y

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Wow, only pussies spell “pussy” with dollar signs because they’re afraid of being thought vulgar.

• sparky1002 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yeah….takes alot of courage for a man like Garza to bad mouth another mans pregnant wife from the safety of being out of range.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Especially when playing in the designatedhitterball league.

14. eagles512 - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

What an idiot

15. cohnjusack - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

What a classless d-bag.

On another note: The A’s dropped 3 sac bunts?!? How many chairs did Billy Beane throw after the game for that?

Thirdly…really Garza? Your going to yell at another team for employing a strategy that is beating you?

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

No, he’s going to yell at the wife of a player on that other team. The manly thing to do.

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

And he’s fortunate that Sogard’s wife is no historiophiliac. I’d have had some fun with that.

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

LMAO! I’m sure you would have, Historio. I’d have PAID to see THAT exchange.

16. theinconvienenttruth - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Are we even sure this is his account? It’s not verified and it looks sketchy…

If it is his account, I wonder if he will pull the “I was hacked” card what seems to work with celebrities

17. jsally430 - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

is that why the twins traded for a box of doughnuts?

18. peopletrains - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You know what’s also moronic? Having this site send to the Candy Crush Saga AppStore page.

19. thebadguyswon - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

You can tell Garza is a low rent scumbag just by looking at him.

20. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

[Sarcasm Font] That’s what you get for letting them out of the kitchen, Am I right Matty boy?[/Sarcasm]

What a complete asshat. This just gives me another reason to root against this gigantic tool. I’m really happy he didn’t get traded to my beloved Orioles. We don’t need his crap in our house.

21. dakotablake - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This is outrageous! There are plenty of good places to eat in Oakland. Ever heard of Kwik Way?

• yournuts - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Dakotablake, Are you kidding me? Oakland has some really good places to eat and Berkeley is right there too. Alice Waters Restaurant chez panisse is a perfect example. There are many great restaurants in the East Bay. Is ignorance your only trait?

• dakotablake - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Yeah perfect example, but it’s not in Oakland.

Before you get all fired up and do a Yelp search of Oakland’s most highly rated restaurants, I’ll concede that some do exist.

22. Stiller43 - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

He was likely wasted.

No excuse, just pointing that out based on what he was typing.

23. tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think we can all agree this was a huge misstep and there is no WAY the fans in the open-minded state of Texas will stand for this.

• nbjays - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Who needs a sarcasm font when you can make it this blatant. :-)

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You’d be surprised how often even more obvious ones get taken seriously.

I actually thought it was too subtle….I’m assuming that’s only because some individuals thought I was being genuine and thumbs upped instead of thumbs downing.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

i gave it a thumbs up FOR the sarcasm.

24. dakotablake - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Love the headline for this 2006 article on Garza.

25. pjmitch - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Don’t know how many times I have given this response to these types of stories…..

Why do athletes (or anyone else for that matter) have Twitter accounts……?

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I don’t have Twitter but have considered getting it solely because it’s a good way to connect with famous people and keep in contact with friends in a fairly lazy way (I don’t use Facebook either).

Famous people have it to promote themselves, and have some level of contact with fans. As long as they aren’t broadcasting controversial opinions, or letting the fans get to them and then getting into arguments with them, I see no harm in it. Famous people are still people, and I’m sure many of them have made contact with fans through Twitter that they relate to, and hold in some level of regard, much like those of us who post here form familiarity with other posters.

Hell, I’m sure some people even end up meeting these players or celebrities if they are good enough at forming that relationship. I know a guy who has played golf with a couple former PGA golfers because he formed a relationship with them on there.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Oh, by “connect with famous people” in my case I am actually referring to contacting local media personalities with comments and jokes about their topics.

I’m not going to try and become BFFs with Lindsay Lohan.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

All that takes is a good coke connection.

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

How else would I know that His Heterochromianess watched Dumb and Dumber last night after the game?

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Oh, I will also point out that a lot of comedians post some really funny stuff on Twitter.

• pjmitch - Aug 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You just pretty summed up (except the friends part) why someone shouldn’t have twitter. To connect with famous people? Really? How pathetic is someone’s life that they find the need to have to “connect” with some celebrity?? I guess that is what this country has come to.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

You know there are plenty of athletes who interact far more via twitter than the handshakes/signed balls they offer at the stadium right? Having Brandon McCarthy tweet at Harry Pavlidis and Dan Brooks about pitch selection because they do a ton of work with pitch f/x has been some of the best interactions I’ve seen on twitter. It sucks that plenty of people are morons on twitter, but it’s not like twitter caused them to be morons. They were morons already, now they have a way of sharing it with the world.

Thank god for the block/unfollow options.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2484)