Aug 4, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
Behind starter Derek Holland, the Rangers shut out the Athletics 4-0 to take a series win and cut their deficit in the AL West to 2.5 games. The victory was Ron Washington’s 582nd as Rangers manager, moving into first place for the most in Rangers history. Bobby Valentine had been in the lead with 581, accrued between 1985 and 1992. However, he had a .490 winning percentage. Washington, in seven years, has a .537 winning percentage.
Holland tossed eight shut-out innings, allowing four hits and walking two while striking out ten. Joe Nathan pitched a scoreless ninth in a non-save situation. The bulk of the offense came on a Nelson Cruz solo home run in the second and a two-run shot by Mitch Moreland in the seventh.
The Rangers have now won six out of their last seven games. They continue their road trip, slated to face the dregs of the AL West in the Angels for three games, and the Astros for four.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)