Aug 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Rough news here for the scorching-hot Royals.
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, catcher Salvador Perez was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Sunday morning. His concussion has been labeled “low grade” by the Royals medical staff but any brain injury is serious and Perez is likely to miss at least a few weeks.
George Kottaras will be the primary fill-in behind the plate and Brett Hayes will serve as his backup. The Royals are 12-3 since the All-Star break and moving into the hunt for one of the two American League Wild Card spots. They’re 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings entering Sunday’s series finale with the Mets.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)