Aug 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Rough news here for the scorching-hot Royals.
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, catcher Salvador Perez was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Sunday morning. His concussion has been labeled “low grade” by the Royals medical staff but any brain injury is serious and Perez is likely to miss at least a few weeks.
George Kottaras will be the primary fill-in behind the plate and Brett Hayes will serve as his backup. The Royals are 12-3 since the All-Star break and moving into the hunt for one of the two American League Wild Card spots. They’re 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings entering Sunday’s series finale with the Mets.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)