Aug 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Rough news here for the scorching-hot Royals.
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, catcher Salvador Perez was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Sunday morning. His concussion has been labeled “low grade” by the Royals medical staff but any brain injury is serious and Perez is likely to miss at least a few weeks.
George Kottaras will be the primary fill-in behind the plate and Brett Hayes will serve as his backup. The Royals are 12-3 since the All-Star break and moving into the hunt for one of the two American League Wild Card spots. They’re 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings entering Sunday’s series finale with the Mets.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)