Aug 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Rough news here for the scorching-hot Royals.
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, catcher Salvador Perez was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Sunday morning. His concussion has been labeled “low grade” by the Royals medical staff but any brain injury is serious and Perez is likely to miss at least a few weeks.
George Kottaras will be the primary fill-in behind the plate and Brett Hayes will serve as his backup. The Royals are 12-3 since the All-Star break and moving into the hunt for one of the two American League Wild Card spots. They’re 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings entering Sunday’s series finale with the Mets.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)