Aug 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Rough news here for the scorching-hot Royals.
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, catcher Salvador Perez was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Sunday morning. His concussion has been labeled “low grade” by the Royals medical staff but any brain injury is serious and Perez is likely to miss at least a few weeks.
George Kottaras will be the primary fill-in behind the plate and Brett Hayes will serve as his backup. The Royals are 12-3 since the All-Star break and moving into the hunt for one of the two American League Wild Card spots. They’re 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings entering Sunday’s series finale with the Mets.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)