Aug 4, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Rays are 24-6 since June 28 and currently trail the Red Sox by just one game in the AL East.
David Price went nine innings — allowing just one run on five hits and no walks — on Saturday night against the defending World Series-champion Giants and now boasts a 1.57 ERA, 0.59 WHIP and 40/1 K/BB in 57 1/3 frames since returning from a triceps strain on July 2. He didn’t get the win Saturday because the game went into extras. That’s when young slugger Wil Myers continued his heroics.
With the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 10th inning, Myers calmly smacked a ball over the drawn-in left fielder’s head, scoring Desmond Jennings on a jog from third base and giving the Rays a 2-1 victory.
Tampa Bay will try for win No. 66 in Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Royals 4, Mets 3 (12 innings)
Braves 5, Phillies 4 (12 innings)
Giants 1, Rays 2 (10 innings)
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)