Aug 4, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
The Rays are 24-6 since June 28 and currently trail the Red Sox by just one game in the AL East.
David Price went nine innings — allowing just one run on five hits and no walks — on Saturday night against the defending World Series-champion Giants and now boasts a 1.57 ERA, 0.59 WHIP and 40/1 K/BB in 57 1/3 frames since returning from a triceps strain on July 2. He didn’t get the win Saturday because the game went into extras. That’s when young slugger Wil Myers continued his heroics.
With the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 10th inning, Myers calmly smacked a ball over the drawn-in left fielder’s head, scoring Desmond Jennings on a jog from third base and giving the Rays a 2-1 victory.
Tampa Bay will try for win No. 66 in Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Royals 4, Mets 3 (12 innings)
Braves 5, Phillies 4 (12 innings)
Giants 1, Rays 2 (10 innings)
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)