Aug 4, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Rays are 24-6 since June 28 and currently trail the Red Sox by just one game in the AL East.
David Price went nine innings — allowing just one run on five hits and no walks — on Saturday night against the defending World Series-champion Giants and now boasts a 1.57 ERA, 0.59 WHIP and 40/1 K/BB in 57 1/3 frames since returning from a triceps strain on July 2. He didn’t get the win Saturday because the game went into extras. That’s when young slugger Wil Myers continued his heroics.
With the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 10th inning, Myers calmly smacked a ball over the drawn-in left fielder’s head, scoring Desmond Jennings on a jog from third base and giving the Rays a 2-1 victory.
Tampa Bay will try for win No. 66 in Sunday afternoon’s series finale.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Royals 4, Mets 3 (12 innings)
Braves 5, Phillies 4 (12 innings)
Giants 1, Rays 2 (10 innings)
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)