Sources: Alex Rodriguez to be suspended for 2013, 2014 seasons

Aug 4, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT

Yankees' Rodriguez strikes out against the Orioles during Game 4 of their MLB ALDS baseball playoff series in New York Reuters

If Major League Baseball has its way, Alex Rodriguez won’t play again until the 2015 season.

Sources tell NBCSports.com that MLB plans to suspend Rodriguez for the remainder of the 2013 season and the entire 2014 campaign.

That’s better than the lifetime suspension that MLB was originally shooting for with its evidence that Rodriguez has used PEDs since the 2009 season. It’d also have a better chance of holding up in arbitration than the lifetime ban. Still, with Rodriguez prepared to fight, the league could have its hands full in a court case. Its top source for information, Biogenesis owner Anthony Bosch, is a liar and is the subject of a federal investigation, and a Rodriguez lawsuit could require the league to release information it’d much rather keep private.

Hopeful of returning to the Yankees lineup this week, Rodriguez, who had offseason hip surgery, homered Friday in a rehab game for Double-A Trenton and walked four times Saturday. He told reporters after Saturday’s game that he plans to be with the Yankees when they play in Chicago on Monday.

“We’re going to have a workout (Sunday) and then fly to Chicago,” Rodriguez said, per the Associated Press. “I’ve been on the field for the last five and a half hours. I haven’t heard anything or seen anything.”

MLB, though, plans to announce its suspension of Rodriguez on Monday and prevent him from playing during the appeal process by using the in-the-best-interests-of-baseball clause that commissioner Bud Selig holds.

The league is also expected to announce several other suspensions Monday, with Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta and Padres shortstop Everth Cabera likely facing bans of at least 50 games.

1. MyTeamsAllStink - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Selig’s mind=I couldn’t get Bonds or Clemens so I’ll get ARod.

*pats self on back*

• cubb1 - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

ARod still deserves whatever punishment that he gets.

• hadiharli - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

• pjmarn6 - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Kudos to Matthew Pouliot! He knows the difference between ban and suspend!

2. shanaldo - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

A Rod needs to be banned for LIFE!

• jprcox - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I agree, although I really think being gone til 2015 will ultimately be a ban for life. He’s done…if he stayed in Seattle (maybe even Texas) and took a little less money he would have achieved what he wanted to – perhaps even a series or two with Seattle in that 2000-2002 timeframe. You just aren’t going to get away with anything being the highest paid player and a Yankee…

3. qball59 - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Color me ignorant if I’m misunderstanding something here, but…

A-Rod is a first-time drug offender, right?
    And, under the JDA, the penalty for first-time offenders is a 50 game ban, right?

So…. where does Bud Selig get off trying to impose a 200+ game ban? If I’m A-Rod, you’re damned right I’m fighting this tooth and nail. And where the hell is the MLBPA on this?

I’m betting that, when all is said and done in this case, A-Rod is going to have Bud Selig’s privates hanging off his rear-view mirror…

• tbutler704 - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Suffice to say you don’t understand quite a bit here. Read more, bloviate less.

• qball59 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

why don’t you enlighten me then?

• jprcox - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM

What Alex did wasn’t just take PED – he pushed it on other players. He was an MLB drug dealer. Further, he tried to destroy evidence and other things unlawful.

Alex may have an issue with the FEDS too.

• qball59 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Was he actually selling PEDs? Or was he just recommending Biogenesis as a reliable source for them to other players? There’s a big difference between the two, and I find it rather difficult to believe that he had hands-on involvement in the sale of PEDs.

• blusky1 - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Depends upon how technical you want to get about defining first time offender I guess. The short of it is that this is not the first time he’s been caught using steroids and has previously admitted to using them for at least 3 seasons.

• qball59 - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

OK. His previous admission is somewhat of a gray area since there was no penalty in place in 2003, which is the time period during which he admitted using PEDs previously.

Regardless, let’s assume for purposes of argument that it does count as a first offense. That means he should be facing a 100-game suspension this time around, which still means that Bud Selig is WAY out of line with suspending him for more than 200 games.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Wait and read.

4. thebadguyswon - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

So does Selig get a cut of the savings the Yankees get the next 200 games? That’s quite a gift to the Bronx Bombers.

• 18thstreet - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I keep saying this, and no one care, but just tell me: who is going to play third? Yes, this saves the Yankees money. But the Yankees have never, ever been afraid of spending money. Ever. It’s not a reward for them.

The Yankees needed a third baseman for half of the season, back when it was assumed A-Rod was coming back after the All-Star Break. They signed the corpse of Kevin Youkilis. FOR TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS. And when Youkilis got hurt (who could have possibly seen that coming?), they’ve trotted out a bunch of AAAA players.

Who plays third next year?

5. lgwelsh1 - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

This won’t hold up in a court of law, if Alex sues MLB he will win. There is no grey area, MLB can have all the so called evidence that they want, it still does not PROVE he used anything. Alex admitted he used performance enhancers in the past, bid deal, he wasn’t suspended or penalized for that admission.

In the court of public opinion he is guilty, in the court of LAW he will win an appeal is MLB suspends him.

• tbutler704 - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Settle down, Jack McCoy….you guys are funny having not seen an ounce of evidence and you know what the arbitrator will rule, what a federal district court judge will rule.

6. stesse89 - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I don’t understand the land of guaranteed contracts. In any other profession if you get caught or test positive for an illegal substance you are fired without pay! I understand injuries should be pay protected, not your fault for getting injured. But a deliberate act of cheating and taking drugs should not be rewarded with guaranteed money! I swear this is the only job I know of that you can cheat and get suspended with pay for a potential four years!

• blusky1 - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I was wondering along those lines earlier. Sponsors are lining up left and right to sue Lance Armstrong for fraud and breach of contract because he used steroids and other PEDs, why not Alex Rodriguez?

7. rockwallfields - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Question: I understand that the PED issue falls under the collective bargaining agreement and thus players can still play while appealing; but what do we currently have evidence for against A-Rod that falls outside of this allegation? I have heard references, all vague, as to his trying to buy evidence or influence others to use Biogenesis services, but has anyone seen or heard anything concrete about any of this? And is there any player that has used PED’s who has NOT used deception and lies to hide their use (ordering to someone else’s address, paying with checks from someone else, buying secrecy a la Barry Bonds style, etc.)? It seems that the Commissioner’s Office must have rock solid evidence of significant violations on this front that is clearly beyond that of other players, or there is no way they can use the “best interest of baseball” clause to suspend A-Rod from play while the case is under appeal. It is also these non-PED-using issues exclusively which could justify such a lengthy suspension. While I think A-Rod is a habitual cheat and narcissist, if the Commissioner doesn’t have solid evidence of these things, then he has let this case become personal. There are many players that have cheated just like A-Rod has over the past several years, and MLB was slow to detect or react to any of it until they saw it affecting their attendance, TV ratings, and other revenue sources. Now after making the first steps to irradiate PED’s, they try to position themselves as the voice of morality? A-Rod deserves to be treated like everyone else, which in his case looks like it should include significant punishment, but probably not as severe as most people would like to see, including the Commish & the Yankees. Hearing Brian Cashman’s A-Rod quote recently about A-Rod’s text regarding his health, gives great insight into the Yankees cancerous attitude towards A-Rod – which is absolutely unbelievable from a team who could use a healthy player like the present-day A-Rod (still a good player, and would be a big upgrade for the Yankees). It’s easy to read between those lines.

If they want to crucify A-Rod, then by all measures of fairness, they should want to double-crucify Ryan Braun. Why does Braun get to retain his MVP? Why does he get an arrangement with MLB to keep all his violations secret; sit out during a time when he is already injured; and when the Brewers have already given up all hopes of competing for the playoffs (which one could argue they do every year sometime around spring training ;-)? With Braun throwing in the towel immediately, it sounds like MLB could have gotten more, and should have after all his serious accusations and persistent lies last go around. Could it be because Bud Selig was the owner of the Brewers and the Brewers haven’t had much else to attract people to their park in light years? I know Bud is not the owner, but he was before his term as Commish, and almost all of his buddies who were part of his ownership group, are part of the present ownership group. Sounds a little cozy, doesn’t it? Braun’s fate has been decided, but A-Rod’s is still tough to determine. MLB’s actions towards him thus far appear out of line with the punishment of other players, and they look like the bully here. I would like to know more of the facts so I can sort this out in my own mind, because in an irony of ironies: I don’t trust the integrity of the guy charged with protecting the integrity of the game. I’m not saying he’s dishonest, but based on the few actual facts we have in this case, and based on the precedent that has already been set in such cases, he certainly doesn’t appear to be impartial.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5049)