Aug 4, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
On Saturday at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies had their annual Alumni Night, bringing back many of the organization’s heralded players. They specifically saluted the 1993 NL Champion team this evening. Both events were more emotional than usual because former catcher Darren “Dutch” Daulton, a key component of that ’93 team, recently underwent surgery to remove brain tumors.
CSN Philly is reporting that another member of the ’93 team, catcher Todd Pratt, has also been battling cancer.
Pratt told Comcast SportsNet’s Leslie Gudel he discovered a lump while shaving around the time of last year’s Alumni Weekend and was later diagnosed with head and neck cancer.
“I went through treatment this last spring and it was the toughest thing in my life I’ve ever been through,” he said. “It was really some trial and tribulation there.
“Everything’s great now, and it was actually a blessing. I got in great shape and my blood pressure is down and I’m a healthy guy again.
“I have a good story, and I really shared that with Dutch the last couple days.”
Pratt spent eight seasons with the Phillies and five with the Mets. Though he was not on the roster when the Phillies faced the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, he reached the World Series in 2000 with the Mets.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)