Aug 4, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
On Saturday at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies had their annual Alumni Night, bringing back many of the organization’s heralded players. They specifically saluted the 1993 NL Champion team this evening. Both events were more emotional than usual because former catcher Darren “Dutch” Daulton, a key component of that ’93 team, recently underwent surgery to remove brain tumors.
CSN Philly is reporting that another member of the ’93 team, catcher Todd Pratt, has also been battling cancer.
Pratt told Comcast SportsNet’s Leslie Gudel he discovered a lump while shaving around the time of last year’s Alumni Weekend and was later diagnosed with head and neck cancer.
“I went through treatment this last spring and it was the toughest thing in my life I’ve ever been through,” he said. “It was really some trial and tribulation there.
“Everything’s great now, and it was actually a blessing. I got in great shape and my blood pressure is down and I’m a healthy guy again.
“I have a good story, and I really shared that with Dutch the last couple days.”
Pratt spent eight seasons with the Phillies and five with the Mets. Though he was not on the roster when the Phillies faced the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, he reached the World Series in 2000 with the Mets.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)