Aug 4, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
On Saturday at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies had their annual Alumni Night, bringing back many of the organization’s heralded players. They specifically saluted the 1993 NL Champion team this evening. Both events were more emotional than usual because former catcher Darren “Dutch” Daulton, a key component of that ’93 team, recently underwent surgery to remove brain tumors.
CSN Philly is reporting that another member of the ’93 team, catcher Todd Pratt, has also been battling cancer.
Pratt told Comcast SportsNet’s Leslie Gudel he discovered a lump while shaving around the time of last year’s Alumni Weekend and was later diagnosed with head and neck cancer.
“I went through treatment this last spring and it was the toughest thing in my life I’ve ever been through,” he said. “It was really some trial and tribulation there.
“Everything’s great now, and it was actually a blessing. I got in great shape and my blood pressure is down and I’m a healthy guy again.
“I have a good story, and I really shared that with Dutch the last couple days.”
Pratt spent eight seasons with the Phillies and five with the Mets. Though he was not on the roster when the Phillies faced the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, he reached the World Series in 2000 with the Mets.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)