Aug 4, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
On Saturday at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies had their annual Alumni Night, bringing back many of the organization’s heralded players. They specifically saluted the 1993 NL Champion team this evening. Both events were more emotional than usual because former catcher Darren “Dutch” Daulton, a key component of that ’93 team, recently underwent surgery to remove brain tumors.
CSN Philly is reporting that another member of the ’93 team, catcher Todd Pratt, has also been battling cancer.
Pratt told Comcast SportsNet’s Leslie Gudel he discovered a lump while shaving around the time of last year’s Alumni Weekend and was later diagnosed with head and neck cancer.
“I went through treatment this last spring and it was the toughest thing in my life I’ve ever been through,” he said. “It was really some trial and tribulation there.
“Everything’s great now, and it was actually a blessing. I got in great shape and my blood pressure is down and I’m a healthy guy again.
“I have a good story, and I really shared that with Dutch the last couple days.”
Pratt spent eight seasons with the Phillies and five with the Mets. Though he was not on the roster when the Phillies faced the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, he reached the World Series in 2000 with the Mets.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)