Aug 4, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Yasiel Puig is not in the Dodgers’ starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field because of a left thumb contusion.
Puig suffered the injury Saturday while making a leaping catch against the brick and padding along the right field line. It’s not a serious concern and he should be available off the bench Sunday if needed.
The 22-year-old Cuban phenom is hitting .376 with a 1.029 OPS, 23 extra-base hits, seven stolen bases, 25 RBI and 40 runs scored through his first 53 major league games. The Dodgers are 37-16 since his June 3 promotion.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)