Aug 4, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Yasiel Puig is not in the Dodgers’ starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field because of a left thumb contusion.
Puig suffered the injury Saturday while making a leaping catch against the brick and padding along the right field line. It’s not a serious concern and he should be available off the bench Sunday if needed.
The 22-year-old Cuban phenom is hitting .376 with a 1.029 OPS, 23 extra-base hits, seven stolen bases, 25 RBI and 40 runs scored through his first 53 major league games. The Dodgers are 37-16 since his June 3 promotion.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)