And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Aug 5, 2013, 5:00 AM EDT

Comerica Park

I went to Detroit over the weekend where I took in Saturday and Sunday’s Tigers-White Sox games. Such a wonderful time. Cool temperatures, no humidity, good company, good pitching, good food, good beer. It’s really all you could want.

As I watched these games and hung around a city that, no matter what else you can say about it, is a lot of fun and loves baseball, I occasionally checked in on Twitter and baseball blogs to see what sort of news was happening. Observed: the closer you are to real baseball and the more fun you’re having while watching it, the less any of that Alex Rodriguez and Biogenesis stuff matters. Even in Detroit, fans were 100% able to (a) talk about that news as intelligent baseball fans might; while (b) cheering for Jhonny Peralta like mad. It’s not either/or. That stuff doesn’t cast a shadow on the team or the season or anything. It’s just something happening.

Baseball is also happening. And it totally trumps that noise. Don’t let anyone wringing their hands over the Biogenesis stuff today and on for the next few weeks tell you differently. Anyway: this happened too:

Tigers 3, White Sox 2: Jim Leyland had the junior varsity in the lineup to start things — Andy Dirks and Don Kelly batting two and three — but once it got to the 12th inning Leyland had Miguel Cabrera (pinch hit single) and Torii Hunter (pinch hit to enter the game in the tenth and a game-winning single in his second at bat) bail the kids out. The White Sox ended their road trip 0-7 and they’ve lost ten in a row overall. Which, eww.

Blue Jays 6, Angels 5: Two in the eighth and two in the ninth help Toronto come back and avoid a sweep. The AP game story lead off by saying “The Toronto Blue Jays avoided a four-game sweep the hard way.” I agree that coming back late is a hard way, but there are harder ways to do it. For example, winning by forfeit when your manager realizes that the other team’s starting pitcher is actually one kid riding on another kid’s shoulders wearing an overcoat, thereby revealing that the other team has violated roster rules is extraordinarily difficult to pull off. La Russa did that once. No one else.

Dodgers 1, Cubs 0: You on point Fife? All the time, Tip. You on point Fife? All the time, Tip. You on point Fife? All the time, Tip. Well then grab the horsehide and let your pitch rip (Stephen Fife: 5.1 IP, 0 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 5K, weighs a buck 150, 36 waist). Also, WTF is up with the caption on this photo?

Cardinals 15, Reds 2: Well, the Cardinals offense seems to be doing better. They scored 13, 13 and 15 runs in three of their last four games, respectively. Now, after a tough road trip that took them through Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, they have one more tough assignment: the Dodgers at home.

Red Sox 4, Diamondbacks 0Felix Doubront continues his remarkable consistency, shutting out the Dbacks for seven innings and making his 15th straight start in which he has given up three runs or fewer.

Royals 6, Mets 2: The Royals had a three-run fifth inning in which Marlon Byrd misplayed not one but two balls due to the sun. After the game Byrd said “I need to get better with sun balls.”  I wish the reporter he was talking to shot back with “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell. – C. S. Lewis,” but I suppose that’s too much to ask of our decrepit educational system.

Mariners 3, Orioles 2:  Henry Blanco hit a two-run homer in the seventh to help the M’s to a win. Also: Henry Blanco is still alive and is playing baseball and everything. Kids: forget trying to perfect a curve ball. Forget trying to be a shortstop. Learn how to be a backup catcher and you’ll never be unemployed in your life.

Indians 2, Marlins 0: Scott Kazmir and three relievers combine for a shutout. It was the Indians’ major league-best 15th shutout this season. It was Cleveland’s 10th win in 11 games. Now they have four big ones against Detroit, trailing them by three games.

Rays 4, Giants 3: Wil Myers homered and the Rays’ bullpen tossed four and a third scoreless innings after Fauxsto Carmona struggled.

Pirates 5, Rockies 1: A.J. Burnett went the distance and struck out nine. Russell Martin hit a three-run homer. Some Yankees fan somewhere is trying to craft some argument about how what they’re doing matters less because they’re on the Pirates.

Twins 3, Astros 2: Twins sweep the Astros.  It was their first sweep and is their first three-game winning streak in over a month.

Brewers 8, Nationals 5: Down 4-1 in the sixth the Brewers put up a five-spot.  Jeff Bianchi‘s bloop single over a drawn-in infield put Milwaukee ahead. He also had a squeeze bunt in the game. It was definitely a nice day for backup catchers.

Rangers 4, Athletics 0: Derek Holland tossed eight shutout innings with ten strikeouts. Ron Washington became the Rangers’ winningest manager of all time with this win. Which, honestly, I figured had happened a year or two ago, but I guess Johnny Oates was there longer than I realized. UPDATE: Or make that Bobby Valentine. Whatever.

Padres 6, Yankees 3: Yankees third basemen went 1 for 5. The lede for all game stories tomorrow should be “Thank God A-Rod is back!” But I figure they won’t be.

Braves 4, Phillies 1: Ten straight for the Bravos. Chris Johnson with a couple of RBI. Dude is batting .346. Not bad for a throw-in in the Justin Upton deal.

148 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. beefytrout - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I think Ron Washington did pass Johnny Oates a year or two ago. But Oates wasn’t the franchise leader in managerial wins. Bobby Valentine was.

• raysfan1 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Having so much fun he didn’t even read his coworkers’ posts. I’m sure that’ll mess with him for that.

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I can’t blame Craig for forgetting Bobby Valentine. On the contrary, I envy him for it.

2. quintjs - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

A bit of biased Sox fan here, but it is nice to see Doubront get some love. He may not be a great great pitcher but he deserves more attention than he gets.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Felix gets more attention than he deserves already because he pitches for the Sawks – he’s thoroughly mediocre.

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Could your team please lose already? Thanks. Much appreciated.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Can’t lose now … being chased by shark-head floating carpets.

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We don’t bite.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM

If we don’t stop swimming we don’t have to verify that.

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We DO stab you with our sharp barbed tails.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Now now if you go making flogging jokes you’ll get hysterio all excited … no no not like that – about flogging molly … you know, her roommate …. no no no sorry the band, the band.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

So the Sawks have to get on a red-eye last night to Houston, they play tonight, and the Rays have yet another day off?? Super.

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Playing the Astros IS getting a day off. Sigh.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The floating carpets were 5-2 against them – Sawks are 4-0 so far.

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

See? It’s a day off for the dirty socks.

• indaburg - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I guess the Sawx didn’t get the memo? Good job. ;-)

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:17 AM

You’re most welcome. On a bit of a personal winning streak, aren’t ya now.

• indaburg - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Good morning, unclemo. Shut out by the ‘stros. Your boys took the night off after all.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Jesus – don’t you ever sleep? I saw that Oberholzer was on a roll and the boys were still on the plane so I went to bed early.

• indaburg - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I was up pondering Oberholzer.

Actually, I was half awake and you woke me with the sound of the WordPress app alert. Do you ever sleep?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

7 hours – like a log. I just get up early almost every day.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Awww you prolly thought it was someone else. I’ll avoid beeping your WordPress until a more reasonable hr. ;)

• indaburg - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Nah, it doesn’t bother me. I typically do get up early. Combination nurse’s hours and insomnia.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thanks yer nice.

Back to 1/2 game lead – more see-saw effect?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I’m very happy that my trip to the Aquarium yielded a new nickname for your boys. Any time any variation on the shark-head floating carpets is used I get all happy.

3. uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Well Phil Hughes stunk it up yesterday. I would fully expect to see Hughes put up on waivers soon, we’ll have to see if any team especially a NL club claims him.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Good luck with that.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I definitely think a team will pick him up and potentially use him as a very solid pitcher out of the pen for the rest of the year. My only question is what will someone give up for him and will the Yankees take that as compensation. We’ll see.

I think he’s an ideal candidate for the bullpen and specifically the set up role.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Who would they replace him with? Phelps had a setback during his rehab, and Pineda just complained of shoulder soreness. They could move Warren into the rotation but there’s no way he’s stretched out to throw 100 pitches.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM

church…, not sure maybe they call up Bootcheck from Triple A. The point is they were looking to move him at the trade deadline, maybe they have someone in mind.

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM

uyf, did you just use the words “very solid pitcher” when referring to Hughes? That’s like referring to Joba as an “ace”.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

nbjays, what I believe I said was ” very solid pitcher out of the pen“. If you were familiar with the Hughes of 2009 when he pitched out of the pen, I think you would agree.

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Except Hughes is a long way from 2009.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM

It must hurt that the winning pitcher was Kennedy. He has a higher ERA than his two amigos, Hughes and Chamberlain.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Not really, Kennedy hasn’t had a very good year either, I tend not to look back as those sort of things. Just like when the Montero deal was done for Pineda. It’s done time to move on.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM

speaking of hurting even when the jays do win which is rare in itself there is one thing that is consistent. The pitching SUCKS!! Some idiot the other day on here suggested Buehrle turned some kind of corner. Um NOOOO!! Check out these numbers…

6 innings\7 hits\5 earned runs\2 Hr’s

sorry nothing good about those stats, he is below average at best n the AL, he could be a average pitcher in the NL which is where he belongs. So glad this guy will be on the team next year also, expect more of the same cause is not gonna get better for him in the AL

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Mark Buehrle: 6 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 4 SO, 4.41 ERA. 7-7 record.
        Did he lose? No.
        Did the Jays lose? No.

Phil Hughes: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 1 SO, 4.87 ERA, 4-10 record.
        Did he lose? Yes.
        Did the Yankees lose? Yes.

Ergo, if Buehrle belongs in the NL, Hughes belongs in Double A.

Ergo, shut up, harry.

• Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Poor dim One Note Harry inhabits his own puckered dystopia, where not only are ideas, concepts and vocabulary strictly limited but events occurring beyond the peephole through which he occasionally attempts to verify that an objectively reality exists wind up as phantasms projected upon the smooth surface of his brain stem and experienced as normal people might experience the sensation of flatus in process of expulsion. Fact is, Harry was actually talking about Phil Hughes, but due to his persistent narcissism it came out as “Mark Buehrle.” The historian of culture Walter Kaufman once wrote of a certain quack psychologist of reknown that someone “who doesn’t understand himself and his own problems will write about himself and his own problems whatever else he thinks he’s writing about.” Just so. In One Note Harry’s dystopia, his reflexive sputterings of digital smegma, which make him look like a putz to the rest of us, make him look like a genius to himself.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

What to do about Harry? Let him stew in his own little world of mediocrity.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

DipweedHarry’s not just an ordinary putz; he’s a world class pea-brain putz. I think he’s related to Donald Trump, who’s mother was an orangutan.

• quintjs - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM

uyf – a team would have to pick him up, convert him to a reliever, get him fixed, all in an very short about of time so he can be playoff eligable, and then only get a small windows of usage before he is a free agent. That is more trouble that it is worth. If he had another year before free agency sure, but I can’t see someone taking a punt on him for anything other than a starter or long relief and I can’t see anyone seriously doing that either.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I’m going to have to disagree with you on that. He already has experience as a set up man from the 2009 season. And a very good set up man at that. I really don’t think it would be that much of a transition for him. But again we’ll see.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

There is literally no one outside of Yankees fans who see any use for Phil Hughes whatsoever other than HR Derby pitcher.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:37 AM

unclemoesgree, since when did you become an expert and a spokesman for “all fans outside of Yankees fans”? Of the posts I’ve had a chance to read of yours that seems to be a continuing theme of yours to speak for everyone except Yankees fans. In the future you may just want to speak for yourself.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Just trying to give you the perspective outside the pinstriped fishbowl uyf’ie. The feeling on Hughes around the league is more “you broke him – you fix him” than Ooooh I hope we get to pick up that broken down no-good Phil Hughes sometime.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

unclemoe’sie, I’m impressed now not only do you speak for all fans expect Yankees fans but now you know the “feeling around the league”. I’m sure that feeling comes from you not only being in the employ of a MLB team but someone in a position of authority with that team..

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Let’s not attack the messenger now uyf’ie – it’s all love. All I’m saying is, from one person’s non-Yankee fan view which is worth exactly the opinion of one serious baseball statgeek fanboy – Phil Hughes isn’t very good. You’re still going on a memory of how good you thought he might be once upon a time.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM

unclemoe’sie, the trouble with your latest comment is all of your previous comments purported to know and speak for everyone under the sun except Yankees fans. And now you are telling me how I am evaluating Hughes’s performance. Sorry man, but you got it all wrong.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Phil Hughes is a bad pitcher.

Phil Hughes has been a below average pitcher for the last 4 years.

No team for which winning matters is going to give up ANYTHING of value to acquire him with the hope that he might be suddenly useful out of the pen….especially since it would cost them about $2M for the…ahem…”privilege” to do so…..

….and no team for which winning does not matter is going to do that either.

Personally, I love the “maybe our horrible players will bring back something useful in trade” optimism by homerific fans….but that is all this is.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Personally, I love it when fans believe they have all the answers and know what everyone else is or isn’t going to do.

Paperlions, BTW and please correct me if I’m wrong. Weren’t you the same poster here who thought the Red Sox made out like bandits in the Hanrahan for Melancon trade? How is and did that trade work out for the Sox. I don’t think I am wrong though about it being you.

Also I never said that a team would be willing to give up something “useful in a trade”. I said we will have to wait and see what someone is willing to give up and if the Yankees would take it.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don’t recall thinking anyone made out like bandits. If anything, I likely said that relievers like those guys are unpredictable and fungible.

…and please, Hughes is awful…and he’s only be slightly more awful this year than he was before.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

…and I have never claimed to have all of the answers…but some answers are easy. Like this one….knowing the answer to easy things isn’t the same as being a knowitall.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM

paperlions you may want to go back and read some of the comments from the link below. Here is just one of yours from that particular blog:
        paperlions – Dec 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM
        First, of course they got a rental. Duh. Second, they gave up absolutely nothing to get that rental, but PC acts like the Pirates got something useful or valuable in return. They didn’t. Third, he’s been relentlessly and largely unintelligently bashing the Red Sox (who, by the way, I can’t stand) at every opportunity, even bringing them up when the story has nothing to do with them just to be a dick. It is boorish, it is tiring, and largely has been bullshit. Not unlike much of your mindless mocking which you seem incapable of controlling.
        ———-
        Paperlions, the pitcher you are referring to when you talk about the Pirates not getting anything useful is “Melancon”. And BTW, that rather snide comments with the “Duh” from a reply to a comment I made.

Anyway here is the link: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/26/red-sox-and-pirates-finalize-joel-hanrahan-trade/#comments

I’ve only posted this here to show regardless how positive someone is in their conviction about a player they can and very often are wrong.

• uyf1950 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM

paperlions, “some answers are easy. Like this one….” your words. Was this as easy a call to make as when you posted way back in Dec. that the Pirates got nothing useful or of value when they sent Hanrahan to the Sox for Melancon?

Maybe some answers aren’t as easy as you think.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yes, I have been wrong before…who hasn’t?

If your point is that I have been wrong before and may be wrong this time….well, I’ve been right before as well (and more often than I am wrong), so I could be right here as well….so what?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Also fwiw – if I had a Cy Young vote, and of course I don’t, my AL vote right now would be for Kuroda.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Booooo!!!!!!!!

/throws peanut shells

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

/goes into fake anaphylactic shock – peeks up

4. proudlycanadian - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM

For the Angels, the usual suspects (Trout and Trumbo) homered to give them an early lead. For the Jay’s, the usual suspects (Bautista and Encarnacion) got the RBI singles in the 9th inning for the win. LA’s pen and closer imploded. Toronto’s closer was his usual efficient self. Rajai Davis had 3 hits and 3 stolen bases.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

who cares pc? Check the standings!! The jays are finished!! Can you say season over? You bet you can!

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You care, harry. You care more than anyone, seeing as how you are the one posting obsessively about the Blue Jays.

And while we Jays fans have long since accepted the fact that, barring a miracle, our team will not make the postseason, you are still labouring under the delusion that the nine-and-a-half-games-back Yankees, with no bats and about 2 good arms will somehow storm back and win.

Sorry, pal, but your season is just as over as ours is.

Time to deal with it.

• Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Poor dimwitted One Note Harry has far too many things to deal with, his limited intelligence and constricted articulation not the least of them, to come to terms with the epic derailment that the pinstriped gerontology ward of the Borg has become this season. He needs time, medication and the sympathy of his fellow aphasics. Back off. Give this sad clown some room to mourn.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Gator: you got that DipweedHarry pegged!

5. natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Bottom line is, Barves have put together two great hot streaks, and played .500 ball for three months.

Nats have played .500 ball (or less) all season. Many games (like yesterday’s, they had Lohse on the ropes) when they had chances and chances, but couldn’t put the game away.

As for the Wild Card, everything went our way, Cincy got blasted, Arizona lost–and we still could not take advantage. Time for Stras to be the Ace, no excuses. Weather is great, season is on the line.

• hova84 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Well, luckily enough, it does not matter how or when your wins come as long as you have the most in your division at the end of the year. Looking forward to this three game series. The Nats could keep their hopes alive or the “Barves” could all but lock up the division. Only one way to find out…

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

That is a fun game. Let’s also delete the Nationals’ two hottest streaks and see how their record looks.

The Nat’s two best streaks were 7-2 and 7-1….let’s remove those. That leave’s a 40-54 record. This IS fun….and stupid.

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

That wasn’t my point. My point was, the Nats kept hanging around .500 waiting for the hot streak. Should have played better ball game by game, series by series. Don’t get swept by ATL, don’t get swept by the Dodgers. Take 3 of 4 from the Fillies, take 3 of 4 from Milwaukee at home. Don’t let lousy pitchers like Garcia beat you (Baltimore–Garcia was DFA about two weeks later). Yes, the Nats have had bad luck and injuries, but so has Atlanta.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Youuuuuu’re an asssshooooollllleooooooo.

( To think, I like the Gnats more than you )

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM

And Davey, Davey was out-managed by Ron Roenicke and his band of scramblers. Davey pulls in his infield in a tie game in the 6th inning–result, bloop two-run single. Roenicke with the squeeze for the insurance run, it goes on and on. And not just this game. Davey consistently leaves the starter in too long, doesn’t play match-ups with the relievers (despite having lefties in the bullpen), changes the line-up for no good reason, etc. etc. etc.

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

@heyblue, don’t know if that’s addressed to me, but if it is, so sue me for still rooting for my team and trying to figure ways they could make it. Jayson Werth walked around the clubhouse with ice on his ribs (HBP), upper thigh, and hand (HBP that was called a check-swing strike) and he’s still hitting, he’s planning to play today. If he can keep it going, so can I!

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

No way lady, you know which paper ass clown that was meant for. For real, I’m beginning lo like a division rival more than that tiresome human being.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Rather than finding me tiresome, you could just try to prove me wrong. Discounting one team’s hot streaks without discounting all teams hot streaks is mis-leading, and the entire exercise is pointless….like expecting a player on a lucky streak that is putting up a .400 BABIP to continue to do so.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

If that is for me, paper, I would suggest you re-read her post and try to get past the words themselves and see the meaning. She never said to drop any winning streaks. In fact, she was explaining how the Braves had a better record than her team and you all are acting like she somehow insulted the Braves. And you don’t even have a dog in that fight, by the way. Y’all are just having a knee-jerk reaction because it’s natslady, and I think you’re better than that.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I didn’t see any comment you may have made…so whatever I may have said wasn’t directed at you….sadly, or not…work is piling up…maybe I can catch up by 3 pm for the big announcements…until then, I’m going to have to work like a banshee.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Get to work! You have to be here for the big drop!!!!

• stealing3rd - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

and if you took away all those games in which they scored more runs than the other team, they’d be 0-45…..

• daveitsgood - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I see what you did there…

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Maybe I’ll go back and look when I have a chance, but I’m guessing your weak knock on the Braves is probably applicable to a majority of playoff teams over the years.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It’s really tiresome when you guys act like kids in a sandbox about her posts.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM

/throws sand littered with peanut shells

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I like the Natslady, I would never be disrespectful towards her.

You on the other hand……..

/ throws glue covered glitter while whistling GBA

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That wasn’t really for you, but now I’m sad you don’t like me too. :(

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Ok OK

/ whisltes some generic Three Doors Down tune.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Would you two get a room, please?

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I’m gonna need much better foreplay than Three Doors Down.

• paperlions - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I apologize for making that assumption, natslady.

There have been multiple posts the last week or so (mostly just before the trade deadline) that started out “if not for the Braves hot streaks the race in the NL East would be really close”, and I wrongly assumed that yours was going to be another in that list. Sorry.

It may be of interest to you that most teams with good records actually have patterns similar to what the Braves have done this year, but usually not quite so extreme. Most “good” teams play .500 ball most of the year and have hot streaks mixed in which are usually responsible for most of the games above .500…it seems that over a long season the key to having a good record is usually just avoiding losing streaks. Similarly, bad teams also tend to play a lot of .500 ball, but instead of winning streaks have losing streaks (and no/few winning streaks).

6. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Lucky Thirteenth (shutout) for the Feesh, they of the inoffensive offence. One could say that they “wasted” another excellent peetching performance by Nate Eovaldi, but one could also say that the Rainbow Warriors’ rotation is just too good for the rest of the team.

Meanwhile, the Iron Giant went ohfer yet again and is officially having his worst season since being called up three and a half years ago. He struck out twice yesterday, never got a ball out of the infield, and his average has imploded to .245. While everyone is watching El Keed and his gang of larvae, this lineup – proud owners of a 37-inning scoreless streak just a couple of weeks ago – is verging on historically bad, and the non-presence of the Iron Giant as an offensive force is a major part of this. Losing the protection of Marcell Ozuna is part of it, certainly, but Jake Marisnick, despite his terrific centerfield play, is back at the Mendoza line after a brief flirtation with the .230s.

I wrote earlier this season that I anticipated the iron Giant, cast away in the middle of the ragtag lineup Scrooge McLoria’s hoons had assembled for him, was in for a “learning year,” but I didn’t think he’d be as bad as he has been. No doubt he watched the waiver deadline come and go like Tom Hanks watched the horizon for signs of a rescue ship in Cast Away, but fat lot of good it did him.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Now I have to imagine Giancarlo alone in his room at night with a bloodied baseball for his roommate. Another ohfer? I’M SORRY RAWLINGS!!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

No, no, no Poor Dim One Note Harry. You need to watch Sesame Street again. The idea is, when you learn a new letter, to make words with it. When you come back here tomorrow with your same old same old, maybe we can try some reliable mnemonic aids to help you out.

Oh, and don’t use up all your thumbs again. You’ll need at least two of them to hold the flashcards.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

DipweedHarry’s more of a Powder Puff Girls guy!

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Nice post, OG. Feel for ya. How does next year look, any of the newbies any good?

• Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Well, I think Marcell Ozuna will be a very good ballplayer. He was something like third or fourth in the league in assists when he got hurt – that arm of his is Kaline-quality. He should also be a fine hitter and steal a lot of bases for a guy his size. I don’t think the Feesh did him, or Yelich or Marisnick, any favors whatsoever by rushing them up to the show and it’s hard to project how they’ll do based on a leap from minimal time in AA to the bigs. As long as Scrooge McLoria pretends to be following a “build from within” philosophy – a euphemism for patching holes with unripe and ill prepared minor leaguers instead of going out and signing good offensive or defensive ballplayers, only a little better than this is as good as it’s going to get. Tweeter will have the occasional three hit, multi-RBI game but he’s a mediocrity and not an answer to anything. He might be a tolerable seventh place hitter on a team with anyone else to drive runs in but on this one he has to bat cleanup. You see where that’s getting them.

I’m more concerned right now with the Iron Giant’s ongoing meltdown. It’s just awful to watch.

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM

It’s not good enough, OG. The Feesh will never catch the ‘Stros for the #1 draft position in 2014. Houston took a team playing .350 ball and removed the #1 pitcher (Not a #1 pitcher, more like a 3, but the best they had), a very solid closer and about an average outfielder from them at the waiver wire.

Right now their magic number to not equal the Mets’ glorious ineptitude is 7. I have my fingers crossed. But they can probably eke out 7 out of 58. About 110 losses starts to look right. Can the Feesh do that?

• Old Gator - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I’m afraid you’re right. With this remarkable gang of sprites in the rotation, and a by and large pretty solid boolpen, the Feesh are nearly guaranteed to stay close enough in most of their remaining games to give the other team the opportunity to foul up as royally as the Indians did on Friday night. Their offensive numbers, though, have been an Ed Wood Jr. horror movie. I’m almost tempted to go out and print up some “Euthanize Mike Redmond” T-shirts. He’s a good guy and really deserves better than this.

• jwbiii - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’m picturing Don Zimmer and Elio Chacon watching Astros games somewhere and counting the wins. When they to 41, it’s champagne time! Sort of the obverse of the annual Don Shula/Dolphins NFL celebration.

7. beelza - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Never in my life have I experienced what happened when Miggy emerged from the Detroit dugout to pinch hit. 43,000 people roared simultaneously and the stadium literally shook and vibrated. Miggy came to the plate and everyone, including the White Sox, knew he brought impending doom with him.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Well said.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Miggy Goes DOOOOMMMM!!

8. scdocal - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM

@ natslady now your season is on the line. And if the braves are the Barves then who are the Nats. When are Nats fans going to realize that they are just not that good. Strassburg is the next Mark Prior, Gio is hit or miss and Zimmerman is ur only beast and he has been scuffling lately. Nats have been u able to be a quality team all year.

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Agree with most of what you said. Stras has not been an Ace except for a few games, and those few games he got terrible run support. When he needed a shut out, he didn’t deliver. Gio actually has been solid, he had a couple of poor games in the spring, plus the last start, but I’ll take him any day. My feeling is that JZimm is not a hot-weather pitcher. You can like it, you can not like it, you can say he should be, but he isn’t. The late June and July games sapped his bulldog strength. Detwiler was effective in April, maybe early May, then he–as usual–played hurt, came back too soon, blew games, gone for the season. Haren–one of life’s mysteries. Seems like he completely underestimated what it would take to get in shape and blew half the season. Rizzo tried A, B, and C–finally Taylor Jordan stuck.

The offense consists of Jayson Werth, Jayson Werth, and Jayson Werth. Plus occasional bursts from Harper. Ryan Zimmerman has turned into a singles hitter and an error machine. Ian Desmond is fine. Not enough.

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I wouldn’t look too hard at the pitching with the Nats. They just haven’t been hitting. You make that point, but I would reinforce it. The pitching core is very solid. Guys who should be hitting aren’t, and it seems to be contagious.

9. indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I spent the weekend under similar circumstances as Craig but in Philadelphia, enjoying baseball a Citizens Bank Park in a beautiful stadium under perfect weather conditions with the best company. I was awed by the fans. Here they are, with a mediocre team, and the stadium is close to capacity. Crowds that would be standing room only at the Trop. A team of this caliber in Tampa would probably draw 5,000. Even during the bad times, and this was a bad weekend–nay, bad year for the Phils, the phans were there. And they were much nicer than I expected. The booing was mild and half hearted (and kinda deserved–Delmon Young struck out swinging four times). Philly, I was impressed.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

You with your rose-colored glasses – love is a wonderful thing – happy for you all the same.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I’m buying that you were in great company and selling on all the Philly love. Sell sell sell.

• therealtrenches - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

@indaburg: thank you for the nice comment. I’ve been a Phils fan all my life (since ’73). It’s nice to see that some people are open minded. Glad you noticed that the stadium was full and pretty much stayed that way until late in the game. We get bashed as frontrunners for no reason at all. We’re loyal through seasons that can only be described as abject disasters.

as for you unclemoses, the more cold you are, the more you become all the things you see in Phillies fans, and claim to hate about us.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

ooooh – a rubber/glue joke from a phan – that puts you several grade levels ahead of your contemporaries.

And I’m always cooler than a ice brick.

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Realtrenches, I have absolutely no problems with the Phils. Astros had several seasons of competition with them some years back and it was fun. And some of my favorite correspondents on this site are Phans. But I admit it. I troll Phans. You guys are too easy. You troll yourselves half of the time.

I suppose it is because you are such passionate fans and get worked up so easily. But you make it easy and fun for the rest of us to incite you.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

And just what the hell is THAT supposed to mean, stex?

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That I am a big fan of mutually abusive relationships, Utley.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Damn…I forget to bring the batteries and Taser one time…ONE TIME, and this is what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Don’t shoot! I’ll come out peacefully.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

A snowball!!! Right in the kisser!!!!!

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

You guys have gone totally soft. Totally soft.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Soft? Nope…but we’re getting older, and the first thing to go is the memory. Isn’t it? I forget.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

As Papsmear would say, it was your fault, anyway. You didn’t dress like Santa.

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

We missed your iron will Indy. We regressed to our weaker norms while you were gone.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am glad to hear you got to got to a game in Philly! I have always wanted to take in a Cardinals game at their facility. Who did you go with?

• indaburg - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

A few of the people on these here message boards. I got to meet The Rabbit, cur68, Jonny5, Utley’s Hair (some head of hair, I tell you). It was a great time.

Eventually, I’d like to make my way to all the parks. Busch Stadium is near the top of the list along with Fenway, Wrigley, PNC, AT&T, Dodger Stadium, Camden Yards, Kauffman, and Citi Field.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Great to hear! It’s always nice putting a face with a name/HBT handle.

10. therealtrenches - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

@natslady: the bottom line is that you can dissect most division-winning seasons the way you have the Braves’ season.

So they’re .500 with two winning streaks? That’s two more runs than your Nats or my Phillies have had. To this point, they’re the better team.

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Absolutely. No question. Everyone kept saying the Nats had the talent for a run, but they haven’t been able to put one together. Bottom line, Atlanta has, the Nats haven’t. Season isn’t over, so I’ll keep hoping, but realistically…

• natslady - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

And Atlanta has put two winning streaks together. To me, that’s impressive. Plus .500 ball the rest of the time. One winning streak at the beginning of the season, that happens to good teams AND bad teams.

One winning streak in April, .500 ball (treading water) through injuries and slumps, then another winning streak in the heat of July-August, you have to give them credit. That’s a good team.

• therealtrenches - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Fair enough, natslady. You didn’t seem to be aware of any of this in the first post, which may explain the $hitstorm you’ve elicited in response.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

No, she was aware of it. You just didn’t read carefully.

• therealtrenches - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

There is nothing in her first post that suggests the awareness you say you see, historio.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Her whole first post was about how the Braves had winning streaks and the Nats hadn’t and that her team wasted opportunity to do something when it could. If you didn’t see that as talking about the superiority of the Braves, I think that’s on your reading.

11. heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Craig, a Tribe Called Quest reference followed up by a C.S. Lewis quote?

Ah, now I rememeber why I meandered this direction in the first place….

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Same height as Muggsy Bogues … complection of a hockey puck

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Can I Kick it?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

yes you can

12. theageofquarrel - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGAH!!!! (again)

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Man those Buccos just don’t stop, do they? If you look at run differentials they should be fighting with the Reds for second place, but even if the Bucs fade a little to the mean it’s already late enough in the season that they will probably make the playoffs. Hey – win ‘em now, they can’t take ‘em away later.

13. Cran Boy - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Hey, Yankee third basemen weren’t bad just yesterday; they’ve been bad all year: http://onthefieldofplay.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-worst-by-position-third-base.html

• nbjays - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

It’s ok, the immortal A-Rod will be back today to save the Yankees’ season. Oh, wait…

14. tigersfandan - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Jeremy Bonderman is back for the Tigers, by the way.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I saw that and wondered what was up. For the Indians they’re bringing him back? This is an important series. I don’t know about that move. I like him but we have a lead to protect here.

15. steelers88 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM

RAISE IT! FIRST PLACE BUCS!

16. bravojawja - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Braves radio mentioned that the Braves have two 10-game winning streaks this season, but neither the Nats nor the Marlins have ever had a 10-game winning streak in franchise history. (He said “franchise,” so I assume that includes Les Expos, which just doesn’t seem right.) The mind boggles.

The mind boggles even more at Charlie Manuel’s quotes after the game:

“You’ve got to show more hungriness when you’re hitting,” manager Charlie Manuel said. “I don’t see no getting after at-bats. Looks like we take it very casual. We say, `We’ll get `em next time.’ No, that’s not good enough.

“At times, we definitely get out-talented but that doesn’t give you any reason why you can’t concentrate, stay focused on your at-bats and play the game right.”

I think Suzanne Collins misentitled her book.

17. dluxxx - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The Twins got their first sweep of the season. Against the lowly Astros. Now we go face the Royals who have had our number all year. Fun stuff.

• historiophiliac - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Way to go, Twinkies!

18. APBA Guy - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It’s getting interesting, in the faux Confucian sense, in the AL West. The Rangers did what they had to do and narrowed the gap with the A’s and in the process established that they have rebuilt their pitching staff as they kept the A’s offense in check the entire series. Game 1 was basically a bullpen effort with Ogando agonizing through 4 innings while the actual bullpen went 5 scoreless. Game 2 saw Garza lose but preserve the bullpen by going CG. Then Derek Holland showed what good lefties can do against the A’s.

Meanwhile the A’s also got a demonstration yesterday of what a contender quality shortstop looks like with Andrus robbing Lowrie twice, once on a Jeter-esque jump throw and once ranging towards second to start a slick double play. The A’s answer to the problem of Lowrie’s limited range was to move Sogard to short, though he really doesn’t have the arm for it.

The A’s fans are into the race this year: this series drew 87,000 over the 3 games, 82% of capacity, which was outstanding. I saw something Friday I hadn’t seen before, 4 guys from my building in A’s gear heading to the Mausoleum. I guess they’ve written off the Giants, finally. For this year only.

Meanwhile Wolff/Fisher and the G & P Beane have made no moves to address the A’s need for premium defense up the middle and a bat in the OF. Take a look at the A’s OF OPS:

Crisp-.719
    Reddick-.628
    Cespedes-.731
    Young-.654
    Smith-.697

It may be easier to move Moss to the OF and bring in a first baseman than it will be to find an OF who can contribute. Or the A’s OF can just hit as well as they did last year, but the A’s OF looks like they haven’t adjusted to the league’s pitchers as well as the league’s pitching has adjusted to them.

The salient point is that Rangers held the A’s to 11 runs this series while only using 6 bullpen innings. With the A’s starters not as effective as last year and the offense looking tired, the A’s 2.5 game lead seems shaky with 50 games left to go. “Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.”

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

This is not the way you want to see it happen, APGA guy, but you might as well factor it into the equation. The Ranger outfield is about to take a hit on OPS with Cruz out for the season. The lead is uneasy, but the Rangers have problems, too.

• APBA Guy - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

That’s true, sTex, on both counts. By accepting the suspension he’s eligible for the post-season, should the Rangers make it that far. He’s certainly been a major source of thump for them lately. The Rangers OF of Gentry, Martin, and a Profar/Murphy platoon doesn’t really have the same ring to it as one with Cruz in it, that’s for sure.

19. stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

The Birds on the Bat put up another softball score yesterday. That was nice.
    Would have been great to have seen them do it Saturday night (SINCE I WAS IN ATTENDANCE!!!).

I left my retro 82′ Ozzie Smith Jersey in the closet as they were 0-5 with me wearing it.
    I picked up an old school Musial shirt and wore it or the 1st time…and yet they lose again.

I don’t know that I have seen them win (in person) in 3 – 4 years.
    I am running out of Jersey’s and Shirts.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The upcoming series with those Dodgers is going to be incredible. That’s got to be one tough ticket. Lucky for those of us living outside the gateway to the West, the game’s on ESPN. Let’s see what those amazing Dodgers can do against a team that has been in the thick of the title chase for years like the Cardinals have.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I here you Jimee. Should be a great series.
        Hoping the Cardinals continue to bring the wood. That (3 – 8) road trip was brutal!

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Stupid emoticons. That would be…

The “three and eight” road trip was brutal.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4083)