Aug 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
UPDATE: Now Jeff Passan reports that it’s more like 3PM:
Still some last-minute decision-making on Biogenesis cases. Neither side expects an announcement until around 3 p.m. ET.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 5, 2013
9:05 AM: The Associated Press and several other news outlets are reporting that the Biogenesis suspensions will be announced at noon today. Very considerate of them to do it during our lunch hour, yes?
Word to the players has apparently already been given, as Jesus Montero — a guy mentioned in the Biogenesis documents — has informed team officials with the Tacoma Rainers that he won’t be with the team after today. It wouldn’t be at all surprising if affected teams started making roster moves to accommodate the loss of players even before the suspensions happen.
We’ll obviously have oodles of coverage of all of this. We’ll strive to make it fun and interesting, but frankly, I don’t know how we’ll top the Daily News and the Post. The Daily News will likely have several stories, one presumes, which have a lede of “A-Rod was expected to never play for the Yankees again …” despite only the Daily News reporting that with anything approaching certainty. Really, they had Rodriguez retired and claiming insurance scam money and all manner of things months ago. This development really does throw a wrench in all of that coverage, but I guess the best thing about being a tabloid is never having to acknowledge that the stuff you reported yesterday is nonsense in light of what happened today.
As for the Post: it’s already the leader in the clubhouse with best headline:
Buckle your seat belts, kids.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)