Aug 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
UPDATE: Now Jeff Passan reports that it’s more like 3PM:
Still some last-minute decision-making on Biogenesis cases. Neither side expects an announcement until around 3 p.m. ET.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 5, 2013
9:05 AM: The Associated Press and several other news outlets are reporting that the Biogenesis suspensions will be announced at noon today. Very considerate of them to do it during our lunch hour, yes?
Word to the players has apparently already been given, as Jesus Montero — a guy mentioned in the Biogenesis documents — has informed team officials with the Tacoma Rainers that he won’t be with the team after today. It wouldn’t be at all surprising if affected teams started making roster moves to accommodate the loss of players even before the suspensions happen.
We’ll obviously have oodles of coverage of all of this. We’ll strive to make it fun and interesting, but frankly, I don’t know how we’ll top the Daily News and the Post. The Daily News will likely have several stories, one presumes, which have a lede of “A-Rod was expected to never play for the Yankees again …” despite only the Daily News reporting that with anything approaching certainty. Really, they had Rodriguez retired and claiming insurance scam money and all manner of things months ago. This development really does throw a wrench in all of that coverage, but I guess the best thing about being a tabloid is never having to acknowledge that the stuff you reported yesterday is nonsense in light of what happened today.
As for the Post: it’s already the leader in the clubhouse with best headline:
Buckle your seat belts, kids.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)