Aug 5, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Dan Meyer used to be a major league reliever. He was signed by the Phillies in the winter before the 2011 season. That spring he and Antonio Bastardo competed for a job in the Phillies’ pen. Bastardo won and Meyer has been out of the bigs ever since he was released.
Meyer offered his opinion of Bastardo being suspended in the Biogenesis stuff today:
Hey Antonio Bastardo, remember when we competed for a job in 2011. Thx alot. #ahole
— Dan Meyer (@Dmy53) August 5, 2013
One can never know if Meyer would have made that team but for Bastardo cheating. Indeed, we don’t even know that Bastardo was cheating in 2011. I’m hearing from a source that the evidence on the table in the Biogenesis matter all relates to 2012 exclusively. That aside, Meyer was horrible that spring.
I suppose we’d all feel the same way in his place, but we should probably make sure that we leaven appeals to emotion with a healthy dose of fact.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)