Ex-Phillies pitcher Dan Meyer is not at all happy with Antonio Bastardo’s drug use

Aug 5, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT

Dan Meyer used to be a major league reliever. He was signed by the Phillies in the winter before the 2011 season. That spring he and Antonio Bastardo competed for a job in the Phillies’ pen. Bastardo won and Meyer has been out of the bigs ever since he was released.

Meyer offered his opinion of Bastardo being suspended in the Biogenesis stuff today:

One can never know if Meyer would have made that team but for Bastardo cheating. Indeed, we don’t even know that Bastardo was cheating in 2011. I’m hearing from a source that the evidence on the table in the Biogenesis matter all relates to 2012 exclusively. That aside, Meyer was horrible that spring.

I suppose we’d all feel the same way in his place, but we should probably make sure that we leaven appeals to emotion with a healthy dose of fact.

1. waiverclaim - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Hey Dan Meyer, remember when you were the centerpiece of the Tim Hudson trade with the ceiling of a #1 starter? Thx alot. #ahole

Signed, every A’s fan ever (we still miss Huddy)

• fanofevilempire - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Hey Dan, what happened in 2012, 2013, you still didn’t get to majors crybaby.

• clydeserra - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

and you hid your injury in spring training? remember houw you tried to pitch through it? denied you were hurt? then sucked after you were dl’d?

Yeah, I remember.

• herkulease - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We not absolutely nothing out of Hudson trade. None of the guys ever amounted to anything, couldn’t even flip them for anything either.

Mulder trade was where A’s really cashed in. Got Dan Haren who was then flipped for Brett Anderson and some others who were flipped for few guys that still with the team today besides Anderson,Jed Lowrie and Eric Sogard.

Too bad we couldn’t flip Zito.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

A perfect illustration of the downward pressure PED’s creates.

And for the record, imo:

Bastardo – fraud
    Ruiz – big let down
    Galvis – no, it wasn’t a spolied steak, it was PED’s
    Romero – interesting story. I still think you bought the crap at GNC to mask what you were doing

3. MattJanik - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Dan Meyer’s career ERA: 5.46
    ERA+: 78
    BB/9: 4.5
    WHIP 1.548

His career minor league walk rate was north of 3.5 per nine innings.

PEDs didn’t cost him his job. His inability to get anybody out did.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

So that why I don’t remember him…..

• yahmule - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

The Dan Meyer I remember played first base for the Mariners.

I’m an old ****.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hmmmm….a quick check of his game logs show that I saw Dan play in person. In the first half of his career.

Guess I am right there with ya!

4. js20011041 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

While I understand why Meyer would be upset, let’s be honest. If he was a viable major league pitcher, he wouldn’t have been out of the majors since 2011 after missing out on that opportunity. Meyer winning that job is merely delaying the inevitable. Placing the blame on Bastardo might feel good now but he might as well blame his parents for not endowing him with more natural talent.

• stoutfiles - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Hey Mom & Dad, remember when you told me I could be anything I wanted to be? Thx alot. #aholes

• themohel - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

That’s right, there are no victims in this phony PEDs issue….

5. xmatt0926x - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I need to get online more I guess. Bastardo was involved in the biogenesis stuff? Wow. I guess a lot of people wondered why he was throwing 95-96 a couple years ago and then all of a sudden was topping out at 91-92 without being injured. Looks like he wanted those extra mph’s back.

6. Stiller43 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Wtf can anyone tell me why this app keeps taking me to the candy crush page when i never come close to clicking on any add?!! It does this about 15 times a day…

• js20011041 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

The app is terrible. I stopped using it more than a year ago after it stopped updating with new posts.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Come on Stiller…don’t be ashamed of you candy crush addiction.
      From what I understand…a lot of people suffer from the same affliction.
      Own it Brah! Own. It.

7. coryfor3 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That’s funny. I think it is a reminder that use of PEDs is unfair to alot of fringe guys who lose out on a career or at least a year or two or a payday when they get nudged out by a user who wants to avoid getting nudged out himself.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Not sure Dan Meyer was a fringe guy. I think he just flat out stunk. If he had anything to offer I’m pretty sure someone else would have given him a job.

• eightyraw - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If only he had taken magic pills …

8. Joe - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Dan Meyer’s ERAs in recent years:

2010: 9.64 (Major Leagues)
    2011: 7.45 (AAA)
    2012: 7.02 (Long Island Ducks)

Hey Dan, guess what – it’s not Antonio Bastardo’s fault.

9. beavertonsteve - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Keep in mind that it’s not like just these 12 guys were cheating. For every one that was caught a dozen more guys are out there breaking the rules and possibly costing other players their jobs.

Maybe some of these fringe guys would be getting a shot otherwise.

10. chill1184 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Excluding Meyer’s performance numbers there is a point to be made. The whole PED issue creates a unique problem;

You have players who toil away in the minors who hope to one day get that shot at the big leagues. They see that one of their fellow leaguers is using an “interesting” substance and then all of a sudden gets his shot at MLB and assuming a nice paycheck to boot. Your a fringe guy who’s nearing the point that you might be on the unemployment line sooner than latter and see that PEDs is your ticket to a good pay day……sometimes you have to wonder.

11. chadjones27 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

A couple tweets later, “Never said I was good enough but what about the players that never got their chance? Their lives could have been completely different.”

12. deathmonkey41 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Chad Durbin wants everyone to know that he was 100% Organic Chad Durbin, baby!

• carlosruiz51 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

7.02 ERA for the Long Island Ducks?? Not the Mets, Astros, Mariners or Royals. The Ducks. There are pitchers in my softball league that have lower ERAs than that. THE DUCKS!!???!?! SERIOUSLY??!?!?!

• jwbiii - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Right. The team that Dontrelle Willis had a 2.57 ERA for before the Angels picked him up.

13. carlosruiz51 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Chad Durbin also wants everyone to know he has a neck strain for all the home runs he has given up…

14. granadafan - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

All these players who cheated and got huge contracts should have their contracts voided. Cheating liars like Ryan Braun will never learn until it really hits them in the pocketbook. So, he has to sit for 65 games. Big deal. He still got a 120 million contract GUARANTEED. Void that contract and players will think extra hard before cheating.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Nah they should be executed. Forget about a CBA and the agreement between MLB and the MLBPA, just straight death by firing squad. That’ll teach them to never use PEDs again.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Death by Taser.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4032)