Aug 5, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today confirms Jon Heyman’s report that Nelson Cruz will accept a 50-game suspension rather than appeal:
Confirmed: Nelson Cruz accepting his immediate suspension in blow that’s devastating to #Rangers playoff hopes and may end his days in Texas
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) August 5, 2013
I think “devastating” is a bit strong. He’s not the only guy on that team and the Rangers are a mere half game out of the wild card, but yes, it does have a negative impact on Cruz’s team.
The calculus for Cruz is understandable: if he takes his 50 games now he gets it all behind him. Which is kinda important for him personally, as he is a free agent after the season is over and having looming discipline would hurt his market. Of course, being a PED guy may hurt his market too — ask Melky Cabrera — but the lost time out of the gate is obviously a big hurdle for any team who might want to sign Cruz.
Of course, as Nightengale notes, this may hurt him with the Rangers too. They likely view this as a blow to the team and view him as acting in self-serving way by appealing. Bringing him back may not sit well with a decent chunk of the fan base. For Cruz there really weren’t any good choices here. If he appeals he’s a drug cheat denying reality and is hurting his value going forward. If he doesn’t he is seen as a bad teammate.
Gotta pick one, and Cruz picked one that I imagine most of us — and most players — in his situation would have picked.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)