Aug 5, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today confirms Jon Heyman’s report that Nelson Cruz will accept a 50-game suspension rather than appeal:
Confirmed: Nelson Cruz accepting his immediate suspension in blow that’s devastating to #Rangers playoff hopes and may end his days in Texas
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) August 5, 2013
I think “devastating” is a bit strong. He’s not the only guy on that team and the Rangers are a mere half game out of the wild card, but yes, it does have a negative impact on Cruz’s team.
The calculus for Cruz is understandable: if he takes his 50 games now he gets it all behind him. Which is kinda important for him personally, as he is a free agent after the season is over and having looming discipline would hurt his market. Of course, being a PED guy may hurt his market too — ask Melky Cabrera — but the lost time out of the gate is obviously a big hurdle for any team who might want to sign Cruz.
Of course, as Nightengale notes, this may hurt him with the Rangers too. They likely view this as a blow to the team and view him as acting in self-serving way by appealing. Bringing him back may not sit well with a decent chunk of the fan base. For Cruz there really weren’t any good choices here. If he appeals he’s a drug cheat denying reality and is hurting his value going forward. If he doesn’t he is seen as a bad teammate.
Gotta pick one, and Cruz picked one that I imagine most of us — and most players — in his situation would have picked.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)