Aug 5, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
Nelson Cruz says that a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, led him to seek out the assistance of performance-enhancing drugs prior to the 2012 season.
According to his statement, timed with the announcement of his 50-game suspension, Cruz said he became seriously ill in Nov. 2011 and that, by the time he was properly diagnosed, he had lost 40 pounds.
Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my family, friends and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers’ fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs.
The Rangers will probably have to welcome Cruz back should they reach the postseason — he’s a key cog in the middle of their lineup — but they’ll probably wash their hands of him after that. Cruz is a free agent at season’s end, and the Rangers aren’t likely to throw a whole bunch of money at a guy who bailed on the team.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)