Aug 5, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz says that a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, led him to seek out the assistance of performance-enhancing drugs prior to the 2012 season.
According to his statement, timed with the announcement of his 50-game suspension, Cruz said he became seriously ill in Nov. 2011 and that, by the time he was properly diagnosed, he had lost 40 pounds.
Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my family, friends and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers’ fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs.
The Rangers will probably have to welcome Cruz back should they reach the postseason — he’s a key cog in the middle of their lineup — but they’ll probably wash their hands of him after that. Cruz is a free agent at season’s end, and the Rangers aren’t likely to throw a whole bunch of money at a guy who bailed on the team.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)