Aug 5, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz says that a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, led him to seek out the assistance of performance-enhancing drugs prior to the 2012 season.
According to his statement, timed with the announcement of his 50-game suspension, Cruz said he became seriously ill in Nov. 2011 and that, by the time he was properly diagnosed, he had lost 40 pounds.
Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my family, friends and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers’ fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs.
The Rangers will probably have to welcome Cruz back should they reach the postseason — he’s a key cog in the middle of their lineup — but they’ll probably wash their hands of him after that. Cruz is a free agent at season’s end, and the Rangers aren’t likely to throw a whole bunch of money at a guy who bailed on the team.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)