Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Omar Infante has been sidelined for a little over a month due to a sprained right ankle, but he’s hoping to rejoin the Tigers later this week.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Infante will restart a minor league rehab assignment on Tuesday with Triple-A Toledo. He’s scheduled to play on back-to-back days before being re-evaluated, so it’s possible he’ll be activated by Thursday if there are no setbacks.
Infante aggravated the ankle just four innings into his first attempt at a rehab assignment two weeks ago and admitted today that he’s still not back to 100 percent, so the first-place Tigers aren’t going to rush him back if he needs more time.
Infante, 31, is batting .309 with six home runs and 27 RBI in 76 games this season. He’s sporting a career-high .787 OPS.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)