Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Omar Infante has been sidelined for a little over a month due to a sprained right ankle, but he’s hoping to rejoin the Tigers later this week.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Infante will restart a minor league rehab assignment on Tuesday with Triple-A Toledo. He’s scheduled to play on back-to-back days before being re-evaluated, so it’s possible he’ll be activated by Thursday if there are no setbacks.
Infante aggravated the ankle just four innings into his first attempt at a rehab assignment two weeks ago and admitted today that he’s still not back to 100 percent, so the first-place Tigers aren’t going to rush him back if he needs more time.
Infante, 31, is batting .309 with six home runs and 27 RBI in 76 games this season. He’s sporting a career-high .787 OPS.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)