Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Omar Infante has been sidelined for a little over a month due to a sprained right ankle, but he’s hoping to rejoin the Tigers later this week.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Infante will restart a minor league rehab assignment on Tuesday with Triple-A Toledo. He’s scheduled to play on back-to-back days before being re-evaluated, so it’s possible he’ll be activated by Thursday if there are no setbacks.
Infante aggravated the ankle just four innings into his first attempt at a rehab assignment two weeks ago and admitted today that he’s still not back to 100 percent, so the first-place Tigers aren’t going to rush him back if he needs more time.
Infante, 31, is batting .309 with six home runs and 27 RBI in 76 games this season. He’s sporting a career-high .787 OPS.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 13
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)