Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Omar Infante has been sidelined for a little over a month due to a sprained right ankle, but he’s hoping to rejoin the Tigers later this week.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Infante will restart a minor league rehab assignment on Tuesday with Triple-A Toledo. He’s scheduled to play on back-to-back days before being re-evaluated, so it’s possible he’ll be activated by Thursday if there are no setbacks.
Infante aggravated the ankle just four innings into his first attempt at a rehab assignment two weeks ago and admitted today that he’s still not back to 100 percent, so the first-place Tigers aren’t going to rush him back if he needs more time.
Infante, 31, is batting .309 with six home runs and 27 RBI in 76 games this season. He’s sporting a career-high .787 OPS.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)