Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Omar Infante has been sidelined for a little over a month due to a sprained right ankle, but he’s hoping to rejoin the Tigers later this week.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Infante will restart a minor league rehab assignment on Tuesday with Triple-A Toledo. He’s scheduled to play on back-to-back days before being re-evaluated, so it’s possible he’ll be activated by Thursday if there are no setbacks.
Infante aggravated the ankle just four innings into his first attempt at a rehab assignment two weeks ago and admitted today that he’s still not back to 100 percent, so the first-place Tigers aren’t going to rush him back if he needs more time.
Infante, 31, is batting .309 with six home runs and 27 RBI in 76 games this season. He’s sporting a career-high .787 OPS.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69