Aug 5, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
One thing many of the Biogenesis players have in common is their representation: Nelson Cruz, Jordany Valdespin, Antonio Bastardo, Sergio Escalona and Melky Cabrera, are all represented by ACES, the agency headed by Seth and Sam Levinson. You probably first heard of ACES’ connection to PEDs last year when it was named in stories arising out of Cabrera’s efforts to set up a fake website to explain away his positive drug test.
A more significant name which spun out of that website story, however, is one Juan Carlos Nunez, a “paid consultant” of ACES who is said to have been the one who set up Melky’s website. As the New York Daily News reported last winter, MLB banned Nunez from associating with any of the 30 MLB clubs, and from all team facilities. The Players Association censured the Levinsons for not adequately supervising Nunez, but the agency maintained certification.
Despite multiple clients appearing in the Biogenesis records, a source tells NBCSports.com that Nunez was freelancing, essentially, and that “there is absolutely no evidence” that ACES knew of Juan Nunez’s activities. This would jibe with the Daily News’ report that Nunez was a frequent visitor to Bosch’s clinic.
The source says that MLB and the union are looking at ACES once again now that the investigation of Biogenesis players is nearing an end, but there is no indication that the agency will face any discipline or further censure.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)