Aug 5, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
With David Wright expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks with a Grade 3 strain of his right hamstring, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that there’s a “good chance” the Mets will call up prospect Wilmer Flores to play third base in the next week.
Mets fans have been clamoring for Flores’ arrival for a while now. And it’s easy to understand why, as he’s batting .322/.358/.532 with 15 home runs and 86 RBI in 106 games this season with Triple-A Las Vegas. However, the biggest issue has been finding him a position. While he began his pro career at shortstop, he has mostly played second base this season. He has made 90 starts at third base in the minors, including two over the weekend.
Flores’ production has undoubtedly benefited from the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but it’s worth a shot to see what he can do with Wright sidelined. He doesn’t turn 22 until tomorrow and it wasn’t too long ago that he was considered one of the organization’s best prospects.
Mets manager Terry Collins was previously considering moving Daniel Murphy to third base and Eric Young, Jr. to second, which likely would have opened the door for Lucas Duda to play left field coming off the disabled list.
UPDATE: The Mets announced via their team Twitter account that Flores is being called up to the majors.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)