Aug 5, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
With David Wright expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks with a Grade 3 strain of his right hamstring, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that there’s a “good chance” the Mets will call up prospect Wilmer Flores to play third base in the next week.
Mets fans have been clamoring for Flores’ arrival for a while now. And it’s easy to understand why, as he’s batting .322/.358/.532 with 15 home runs and 86 RBI in 106 games this season with Triple-A Las Vegas. However, the biggest issue has been finding him a position. While he began his pro career at shortstop, he has mostly played second base this season. He has made 90 starts at third base in the minors, including two over the weekend.
Flores’ production has undoubtedly benefited from the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but it’s worth a shot to see what he can do with Wright sidelined. He doesn’t turn 22 until tomorrow and it wasn’t too long ago that he was considered one of the organization’s best prospects.
Mets manager Terry Collins was previously considering moving Daniel Murphy to third base and Eric Young, Jr. to second, which likely would have opened the door for Lucas Duda to play left field coming off the disabled list.
UPDATE: The Mets announced via their team Twitter account that Flores is being called up to the majors.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 26
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)