Aug 5, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
With David Wright expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks with a Grade 3 strain of his right hamstring, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that there’s a “good chance” the Mets will call up prospect Wilmer Flores to play third base in the next week.
Mets fans have been clamoring for Flores’ arrival for a while now. And it’s easy to understand why, as he’s batting .322/.358/.532 with 15 home runs and 86 RBI in 106 games this season with Triple-A Las Vegas. However, the biggest issue has been finding him a position. While he began his pro career at shortstop, he has mostly played second base this season. He has made 90 starts at third base in the minors, including two over the weekend.
Flores’ production has undoubtedly benefited from the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but it’s worth a shot to see what he can do with Wright sidelined. He doesn’t turn 22 until tomorrow and it wasn’t too long ago that he was considered one of the organization’s best prospects.
Mets manager Terry Collins was previously considering moving Daniel Murphy to third base and Eric Young, Jr. to second, which likely would have opened the door for Lucas Duda to play left field coming off the disabled list.
UPDATE: The Mets announced via their team Twitter account that Flores is being called up to the majors.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)