Aug 5, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
With David Wright expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks with a Grade 3 strain of his right hamstring, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that there’s a “good chance” the Mets will call up prospect Wilmer Flores to play third base in the next week.
Mets fans have been clamoring for Flores’ arrival for a while now. And it’s easy to understand why, as he’s batting .322/.358/.532 with 15 home runs and 86 RBI in 106 games this season with Triple-A Las Vegas. However, the biggest issue has been finding him a position. While he began his pro career at shortstop, he has mostly played second base this season. He has made 90 starts at third base in the minors, including two over the weekend.
Flores’ production has undoubtedly benefited from the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but it’s worth a shot to see what he can do with Wright sidelined. He doesn’t turn 22 until tomorrow and it wasn’t too long ago that he was considered one of the organization’s best prospects.
Mets manager Terry Collins was previously considering moving Daniel Murphy to third base and Eric Young, Jr. to second, which likely would have opened the door for Lucas Duda to play left field coming off the disabled list.
UPDATE: The Mets announced via their team Twitter account that Flores is being called up to the majors.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)