Three previously unknown Biogenesis players named, Gio Gonzalez cleared, 12 total accepting discpline
Aug 5, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Lots of Biogenesis news has come out in the past few minutes. We have news of three new names in the Biogenesis scandal, a couple being cleared as well as more news of players agreeing not to appeal and to serve their suspensions.
The new names: The Mets’ Jordany Valdespin, the Phillies’ Antonio Bastardo and the Astros’ Sergio Escalona are all going to receive 50-game suspensions.
According to multiple reports, in addition to Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta, Everth Cabrera, Francisco Cervelli, Jesus Montero, Cesar Puello, Fautino De Los Santos, Fernando Martinez and Jordan Norberto have all accepted 50-game suspensions. That’s 12 players plus Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez.
Cleared, either completely or in terms of new discipline: Bartolo Colon, Yasmani Grandal, and Melky Cabrera, all who will get no additional discipline over what they have already served (each received 50-game suspensions last season). Finally, there have been no violations found for Gio Gonzalez of the Nationals or Danny Valencia of the Orioles. Each were named in the original Miami New Times report about Biogenesis, but there was not much in the way of evidence against them in the actual Biogenesis documents.
Barring any new surprises, this should be the extent of the suspended players. And barring any last minute settlement between A-Rod and Major League Baseball, Rodriguez now stands alone as the sole player mounting an appeal.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)