Three previously unknown Biogenesis players named, Gio Gonzalez cleared, 12 total accepting discpline
Aug 5, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Lots of Biogenesis news has come out in the past few minutes. We have news of three new names in the Biogenesis scandal, a couple being cleared as well as more news of players agreeing not to appeal and to serve their suspensions.
The new names: The Mets’ Jordany Valdespin, the Phillies’ Antonio Bastardo and the Astros’ Sergio Escalona are all going to receive 50-game suspensions.
According to multiple reports, in addition to Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta, Everth Cabrera, Francisco Cervelli, Jesus Montero, Cesar Puello, Fautino De Los Santos, Fernando Martinez and Jordan Norberto have all accepted 50-game suspensions. That’s 12 players plus Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez.
Cleared, either completely or in terms of new discipline: Bartolo Colon, Yasmani Grandal, and Melky Cabrera, all who will get no additional discipline over what they have already served (each received 50-game suspensions last season). Finally, there have been no violations found for Gio Gonzalez of the Nationals or Danny Valencia of the Orioles. Each were named in the original Miami New Times report about Biogenesis, but there was not much in the way of evidence against them in the actual Biogenesis documents.
Barring any new surprises, this should be the extent of the suspended players. And barring any last minute settlement between A-Rod and Major League Baseball, Rodriguez now stands alone as the sole player mounting an appeal.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)