Aug 6, 2013, 6:34 AM EST
Royals 13, Twins 0: Hard to envision any more of a domination than this. A four hit shutout for Jeremy Guthrie while the Royals offense puts up a baker’s dozen. Jamey Carroll was literally the most effective pitcher of the game for the Twins. Eric Hosmer drove in five.
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 2: Fifteen straight road wins for the Dodgers. That’s … improbable. Two more road wins in a row and they tie a 97 year-old NL record owned by the Giants. The 83-84 Tigers own the all-time record with 21.
Tigers 4, Indians 2: The Indians can be as hot as they want to when they play everyone else but this inability to beat the Tigers is kind of a drag for them. Detroit scored all four of their runs in the ninth thanks to Chris Perez totally melting down. The rally was capped by an Alex Avila with a three-run homer.
White Sox 8, Yankees 1: All the fuss was about A-Rod, but the real story here may be another old guy: Andy Pettitte was absolutely awful, letting baserunner after baserunner reach while allowing seven runs in two and two-thirds. We may have reached the end of the Pettitte road, folks. Four driven in for Alex Rios
Giants 4, Brewers 2: Three hits for Brandon Belt and a broken bat RBI single for Jeff Francoeur to put the Giants ahead to stay. After the game he talked about adjusting his stance and returning to some toe-tapping timing thing he used in Atlanta but got away from in Kansas City. I’m sure that means he’s all fixed now and will return to 2005 form.
Blue Jays 3, Mariners 1: A three-run rally in the eighth helps R.A. Dickey to his first win in a month. Big crowd on hand as a ton of British Columbians came down to see Brett Lawrie play. Canadian hordes, really, in all likelihood doing recon for an impending invasion.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 69
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)