Aug 6, 2013, 6:34 AM EST
Royals 13, Twins 0: Hard to envision any more of a domination than this. A four hit shutout for Jeremy Guthrie while the Royals offense puts up a baker’s dozen. Jamey Carroll was literally the most effective pitcher of the game for the Twins. Eric Hosmer drove in five.
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 2: Fifteen straight road wins for the Dodgers. That’s … improbable. Two more road wins in a row and they tie a 97 year-old NL record owned by the Giants. The 83-84 Tigers own the all-time record with 21.
Tigers 4, Indians 2: The Indians can be as hot as they want to when they play everyone else but this inability to beat the Tigers is kind of a drag for them. Detroit scored all four of their runs in the ninth thanks to Chris Perez totally melting down. The rally was capped by an Alex Avila with a three-run homer.
White Sox 8, Yankees 1: All the fuss was about A-Rod, but the real story here may be another old guy: Andy Pettitte was absolutely awful, letting baserunner after baserunner reach while allowing seven runs in two and two-thirds. We may have reached the end of the Pettitte road, folks. Four driven in for Alex Rios
Giants 4, Brewers 2: Three hits for Brandon Belt and a broken bat RBI single for Jeff Francoeur to put the Giants ahead to stay. After the game he talked about adjusting his stance and returning to some toe-tapping timing thing he used in Atlanta but got away from in Kansas City. I’m sure that means he’s all fixed now and will return to 2005 form.
Blue Jays 3, Mariners 1: A three-run rally in the eighth helps R.A. Dickey to his first win in a month. Big crowd on hand as a ton of British Columbians came down to see Brett Lawrie play. Canadian hordes, really, in all likelihood doing recon for an impending invasion.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)