Aug 6, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Angels will call up Green for tonight’s game, adding the 24-year-old infielder to the roster for what will likely be his first extended opportunity in the big leagues. And he may play second base regularly depending on Howie Kendrick‘s knee injury.
Green, who was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 draft out of USC, played six games at Triple-A for the Angels following the trade. He also played 87 games at Triple-A for the A’s before the trade and has hit .326 with 11 homers and an .872 OPS in 93 total games there this season. Callaspo is certainly more of a sure thing to be a solid contributor down the stretch this year and that’s what the A’s were looking for, but the Angels did well to pick up Green and it makes sense to give him a long look now.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)