Aug 6, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Angels will call up Green for tonight’s game, adding the 24-year-old infielder to the roster for what will likely be his first extended opportunity in the big leagues. And he may play second base regularly depending on Howie Kendrick‘s knee injury.
Green, who was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 draft out of USC, played six games at Triple-A for the Angels following the trade. He also played 87 games at Triple-A for the A’s before the trade and has hit .326 with 11 homers and an .872 OPS in 93 total games there this season. Callaspo is certainly more of a sure thing to be a solid contributor down the stretch this year and that’s what the A’s were looking for, but the Angels did well to pick up Green and it makes sense to give him a long look now.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 78
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (339)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (148)