Aug 6, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bryce Harper apparently didn’t feel right during batting practice on Tuesday evening at Nationals Park, so he shaved clean before first pitch and then launched a solo home run in the bottom of the third inning to push the Nats ahead of the Braves 1-0, but Atlanta won 2-1 for a season-high 12th straight win.
Here, via Getty Images, is a photo of Harper and his growing beard from a couple weeks ago:
And here’s the replay of Harper going deep to dead center. Notice the lengthy initial trot:
Harper was hit in the thigh by Braves pitcher Julio Teheran on the first pitch of his next at-bat. He pointed toward Teheran and the benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Busy night for the 20-year-old.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)