Bryce Harper shaves beard after BP and slugs home run; benches clear in next at-bat

Aug 6, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

bryce harper beard getty Getty Images

Bryce Harper apparently didn’t feel right during batting practice on Tuesday evening at Nationals Park, so he shaved clean before first pitch and then launched a solo home run in the bottom of the third inning to push the Nats ahead of the Braves 1-0, but Atlanta won 2-1 for a season-high 12th straight win.

Here, via Getty Images, is a photo of Harper and his growing beard from a couple weeks ago:

source: Getty Images

And here’s the replay of Harper going deep to dead center. Notice the lengthy initial trot:

Harper was hit in the thigh by Braves pitcher Julio Teheran on the first pitch of his next at-bat. He pointed toward Teheran and the benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Busy night for the 20-year-old.

1. goskinsvt - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Harper’s HR: 23.66 seconds
    Upton’s HR last night: 27.36 seconds

Braves are up 13.5 in the division, what are they trying to prove?

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

If Teheran got offended by that he’s going to have a tough career. That was pretty mild preening.

• sabatimus - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I didn’t think the trot was that slow. I did think however that Harper took his sweet time getting to first base.

• nolanwiffle - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Harper’s leaving the box after the homer was no different than any other player’s in major league baseball. Plain and simple, that was a horseshit response from a horseshit pitcher.

• Kleinz 57 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM

WHERE ARE THE NEW BRITAIN ROCK CATS TO SUSPEND THESE SANCTIMONIOUS MENACES?!

• alexo0 - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Stop yelling!

2. Gordon - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know. It didn’t look much different than what you typically see on a HR trot. Seems like these guys just puffing their chests.

3. dondada10 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Teheran got flexed on. After he hit Harper he wanted nothing to do with him.

• nps6724 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

What were you watching? Teheran kept walking toward Harper. I don’t condone intentionally throwing at guys, especially for reasons like you giving up a HR, but he wasn’t backing down.

• paperlions - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Huh? Backing down from what? There was no challenge to his manliness in the offing. Was Harper not supposed to run around the bases after hitting the HR?

• nps6724 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The previous post said Teheran “wanted nothing to do with him”. That implies he was retreating after plunking Harper. He wasn’t; in fact, he walked toward Harper as Bryce approached the mound before heading to 1st.

• dondada10 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM

And I disagree. It seems that Harper was talking shit. Teheran walked over with a “What did you say?”

Harper told him what he thought, this time taking it from a 7 to a 10. At the point, Teheran had to decide if he wanted it or not. He didn’t. Harper flexed him.

• paperlions - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Oh…sorry, I mis-understood. I thought you were referring to Teheran being a douche and quasi-following Harper around the bases while Harper did nothing but dutifully complete the required circuit of the bases. I didn’t watch the interaction after Teheran acted like a petulant child and hit Harper on purpose the next PA.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quick question: With less than two outs and a runner on second, do you really think the throw was ‘intentional’ in the sense that he wanted to hit him or intentional in the sense that he was pitching inside and didn’t care if it hit him. I ask because in a one run game I’m not thinking a rookie pitcher has the confidence to be ‘a petulant child’ with the heart of their order coming up.

• nps6724 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Harper shouts at Teheran, Teheran approaches Harper and says something back, Harper walks to 1st, Teheran stays near the mound. Neither went beyond the areas you would expect them to go. How was he “flexed” exactly? Because Harper used his big-boy voice? Neither player made a move towards the other in an act of aggression.

• historiophiliac - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM

There’s my ovaries. Whew! What are you two doing on this thread?

• skids003 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM

dondada, I don’t know what you were watching, but Teheran walked toward him, you could obviously readh is lips, saying “What you gonna do about it”? Harper didn’t want any of him or McCann. He didn’t “flex” anybody. Harper is a punk. They should’ve let Kimbrel stick one in his butt.

4. Arods Other Doctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

It seems like in the good old days hitters would either charge the mound or they would go to first. Is the whole acting like a tough guy barking at the pitcher while you stay on the chalk a modern invention or is my memory just poor?

Nothing against Harper, seems to be the norm now.

• greymares - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM

charge the mound, get suspended !

• largebill - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Depends on what YOU consider the “good old days.” Personally, I look at it as safe middle ground. Harper didn’t charge the mound as he knew he’d likely face a suspension. However, he was pissed enough he thought about it. Maturity doesn’t mean never getting angry just means controlling yourself when you are angry.

5. Stiller43 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You mean nothing JUST against Harper, as you clearly have something against everyone who does it…Harper included.

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No, I mean nothing against Harper because I don’t have anything at all against him. He’s one of my favorite players to watch. I’m just curious if my memory is right because I don’t remember that happening in the days of yore.

• historiophiliac - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I have it on good authority that Bryce Harper has been seen by Arods Other Doctor!

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Well I didn’t actually meet Bryce. I just saw his picture so that makes me an expert.

6. captainwisdom8888 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

If I’m a pitcher, and a batter absolutely crushes one of my pitches into the seats for a home run, I’m going to do my very best to get that guy out next at bat to make up for it. Throwing at a player because they took you deep is just plain pathetic…and cowardly at that. If you’re gonna get all bent out of shape because a batter rounded the bags at a slower speed then you would prefer after a home run, than man up and don’t allow any more homers.

If a batter hits your pitch out of the park, he’s earned the right to round the bags at whatever speed he so chooses. I understand the pitcher has an equal right to throw at a player, but that is only conceding defeat to a man who had bested you, and there is nothing honorable about that.

7. spacemaker101 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Bc when you’re down by 14 games in your division you don’t pimp your homerun.. If you do you get put in place just like Harper did.

8. thomas844 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Pitchers get waaaay too sensitive and whiny nowadays about the hitter’s reaction to a home run. Here’s a thought: If you don’t like a guy watching his homer for too long, then don’t give up a homer in the first place.

9. spacemaker101 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Forrsure wasn’t backing down… Harper and Nats woulda got tore up in a brawl… I know y’all saw gattis big bear looking ass coming to get some!

• voteforno6 - Aug 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve seen Ramos up close a few times. That’s one guy I wouldn’t want to get angry at me.

10. beefytrout - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM

If you notice, Harper never moves towards Teheran. He’s jawing the whole way, but he never deviated off the base line. Teheran should have stayed on the mound.

11. soobster - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Kcuf Bryce Harper.

• paperlions - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I think the Dunnign-Kruger effect may be in operation here.

• sabatimus - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Well played.

12. Walk - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Nice biased article. You do know freeman got hit before harper. I did not see anything wrong with harpers trot, but I also do not think Teheran would hit harper and put the go ahead run on base especially with less than two outs. Harper was also batting leadoff and the heart of the order was coming up with runners on. It was likely an accident but if it was on purpose, first was open, then it was because freeman got hit not because of him admiring a hr.

• nps6724 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Freddie wasn’t hit on purpose. You can even see he and Gio laughing to each other afterwards. And I’m pretty sure he was hit by a breaking ball.

Plus, who would throw at Freddie Freeman??

• Walk - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I was not contending that freeman was hit on purpose merely that if harper was hit on purpose it had little to nothing to do with the hr trot. Both players were hit in about the same area. I also seriously doubt freeman was hit on purpose especially on the pitch thrown, but people have been hit on purpose before with a breaking ball. All i am saying is that there were two incidences that may have caused Teheran to hit harper, if it was done on purpose, and not just the trot which i will state again looked all right to me. There were more things happening in that game than we ever get to see as fans. I am a braves fan so there is some bias on my part as well, though i do my best to not let it interfere.

• nps6724 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I’m a Braves fan as well. I just don’t see Teheran hitting Harper for any reason but the HR. Especially after reading Chipper’s tweets about it. First PA post-HR, 1st-pitch fastball.

• voteforno6 - Aug 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Harper was most definitely hit on purpose. Teheran wasn’t going to pitch to him in that situation, with first base open and a double play machine coming up. Not after that home run. Besides, when a pitcher throws at someone on purpose, that’s where they throw it.

• voteforno6 - Aug 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Also, don’t forget the Upton home run from the night before. Harper may have been a little miffed at how Upton pimped that one.

• Walk - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

There were already two outs. We did not need to get four. Putting the go ahead run on first is poor baseball, the kind of baseball that can cost a team a playoff berth.

13. kev86 - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

You should be allowed to get pissed after getting plunked regardless of old rules.

14. jamaicanjasta - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

This article is missing a TON of context. Ignoring for a moment that Freddie Freeman got hit earlier in the game, before tonight Teheran had already hit 10 batters so control can be an issue for him; in addition, it wasn’t a bases empty situation as there was a runner on second with less than two outs in a one run game.

Honestly, I feel Julio wanted to pitch around Harper (ie throw inside) and avoid giving him anything to hit.

• pmpott - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I disagree. Harper lives on the inside pitch. If you are trying to pitch around Harper, you don’t do it on the inside.

15. Gordon - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I read a post earlier today about Dave Parker. Unfortunately, I didn’t really see him play until he was on the A’s. What I do recall…that dude loved to admire his HR’s.

16. thebadguyswon - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Peak in August to choke in October.

• skids003 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Well you got to get there first. Don’t look like your guys will make it at all.

17. Bob Loblaw - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

The Braves are setting up for just another quick exit in the NL playoffs, if they don’t choke away another big lead. Although, this is a lead even they can’t choke, can they?

18. misterj167 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Meanwhile, on ESPN:

“Nats played a great game but came up short, Bob.”

“Tremendous outing from Gio and Harper goes yard, let’s analyze that homer…”

(45 minutes later)

So with that homer, the Nats take the lead, they’ve had the lead in 8 consecutive ball games, that’s pretty remarkable, Bob.”

“Absolutely, Doug. And of course it was a completely classless move for the pitcher to try and end the career of the greatest young ball player since, well, since ever.”

“That’s right Bob. Whoever that pitcher was ought to get suspended without pay for ten years. Meantime, the Nationals remain 2 1/2 games ahead of their division rivals, the Phillies, who may be poised to make a run of their own after getting swept. By the way, who were the Nats playing tonight?”

“Beats me, Doug.”

• skids003 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

You got that right. Same with Tiger and LeBron. ESPN stinks.

19. Walk - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Being in the playoffs,I suspect, is far better than having to purchase a ticket or watch on tv.

20. thebadguyswon - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Fall foliage, apple cider, pumpkin carving and Atlanta losing in the first round. Welcome to autumn.

21. scdocal - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM

If you didn’t watch the game then shut up. This article doesn’t tell much of the whole story. Freeman got hit earlier in the game and Teheran didn’t intentionally throw at Harper. Why would he put another guy on base with less then two out. What happens if the ball gets away from Mac? This article is pretty much Harper home risk. Way to tell the full story fellas.

22. eagles512 - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Weak on the braves part

23. atlbrvfan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That’s some pretty big talk coming from nationals/expos fans. How is your playoff streak coming along? 5 NL titles and a World Series during that streak. How many of those do you have. I don’t blame you really. It’s probably hard to get used to winning, especially after sucking rear tit for so long. At the end of the day, the Braves won 14 straight division titles. Talk smack when you have won, oh let’s say……… 2!

24. atlbrvfan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Just saw Harper talking to reporters after the game. You can talk about Teheran all you want, but Harper sounded like the biggest tool bag I have ever heard. When asked if he thought it was on purpose his response, “I’m not sure. I did hit that ball a long way off of him”. What a dumbass. You just lost 2 straight after running that head about how this series would be different and your down 14 damn games in the division. This is prime example of a guy who plays for himself. I’m not saying this because I’m a Nats hater, I like several of their players. I say this because some guys can’t lose with class. They are all mr nice guy when they win, but then want to moan and cry in the corner when it isn’t going their way. He will learn eventually.

• skids003 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

He’s not a tool bag, he’s a plain old punk jerk.

25. km9000 - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM

So we have another instance of sports teams’ official Twitter accounts partaking in juvenile “oh snap!” trash talking. Yet another reason to hate Twitter.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet