Aug 6, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
There’s no crying in baseball. Except for when there is. Take Everth Cabrera, who gave a teary mea culpa about his Biogenesis suspension. From Matt Calkins of the Union-Tribune, who believes that Cabrera’s contrition earned him a second chance.
Calkins says he was ready to submit a column reaming Cabrera to his editor, writing about how he was deader than vaudeville as far as Calkins was concerned. But then …
And then he talked.
The column was written, folks. It was a call to San Diego sports fans asking that they not let the Padres shortstop off the hook when he returns from suspension next year — that they hold the liar liable until true contrition appears.
And then he cried … after giving the most heart-felt sports apology I’ve ever seen, he also deserves a second chance.
Wow, good for Cabrera! And confidential to the other Biogenesis players: you may want to try this because I can only see this working to your advantage.
Recalling A-Rod press conference admitting steroid use when he pretended to be choked up for 30 seconds about how sorry he was.
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) August 5, 2013
Oh, well. Maybe not all of you. I guess you only get one chance to play the crying card.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)