Aug 6, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
Sad news reported by Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pirates great Dave Parker has Parkinson’s disease.
Good news: the disease, diagnosed in February of last year, is not progressing rapidly. Also good: Parker’s attitude:
“There’s no fear,” Parker said. “I’ve had a great life. I always dreamt of playing baseball, and I played. I’m 62 years old and fortunate to make it to this point. I have some beautiful kids that I got to watch grow up and become adults. My fingerprints are on the baseball industry. I feel good about that. I have nothing to feel bad about.”
A good story about a great player dealing with some tough news.
Good luck, Cobra.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (79)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (74)