Aug 6, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Last night the Mariners demoted closer Tom Wilhelmsen to the minors and today he’s starting a game at Triple-A.
Nothing official has been announced regarding a role change, but Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that the Mariners “will start building Wilhelmsen’s arm up” and see how he looks.
Not only was the demotion a surprise–he has 24 saves and Thursday’s ugly appearance snapped a streak of five straight scoreless outings–Wilhelmsen has never started a game in the majors at age 29 and was never great as a starter in the minors. He last started regularly at Double-A in 2011, posting a 5.49 ERA in 61 innings.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17