Aug 6, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish says the deal has been called off because the two sides could not come to an agreement on a designated callup date. Lilly remains a free agent.
Los Angeles is paying the remainder of his $12 million salary for this season, so it would be a low-cost flier for San Francisco and the 37-year-old Lilly is expected to pitch at Triple-A if/when the deal is finalized.
Lilly hasn’t been healthy since 2011, but with the Giants currently choosing between Barry Zito and Ryan Vogelsong for the final spot in their rotation Lilly could certainly get a look down the stretch.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 3
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 70
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)