Aug 6, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish says the deal has been called off because the two sides could not come to an agreement on a designated callup date. Lilly remains a free agent.
Los Angeles is paying the remainder of his $12 million salary for this season, so it would be a low-cost flier for San Francisco and the 37-year-old Lilly is expected to pitch at Triple-A if/when the deal is finalized.
Lilly hasn’t been healthy since 2011, but with the Giants currently choosing between Barry Zito and Ryan Vogelsong for the final spot in their rotation Lilly could certainly get a look down the stretch.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)