Aug 6, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish says the deal has been called off because the two sides could not come to an agreement on a designated callup date. Lilly remains a free agent.
Los Angeles is paying the remainder of his $12 million salary for this season, so it would be a low-cost flier for San Francisco and the 37-year-old Lilly is expected to pitch at Triple-A if/when the deal is finalized.
Lilly hasn’t been healthy since 2011, but with the Giants currently choosing between Barry Zito and Ryan Vogelsong for the final spot in their rotation Lilly could certainly get a look down the stretch.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)